Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The aftermath

It was a great evening.  It really was.  The only problem was - Sunday's breakfast!

At the Blue Waters B&B you have to have your breakfast in your room. This is not a problem as far as I am concerned.  You have to order your breakfast the evening before.  Also not a problem.  Except that when I ordered my breakfast early on Saturday evening I was quite hungry.  When my cereal and yoghurt and full cooked breakfast arrived the following morning, I wasn't hungry at all, and wasn't likely to be ever again!  This made Sunday breakfast something of an ordeal :-S  Fortunately, The Builder stepped into the breach and ate quite a lot of mine in addition to all of his.  No more food for him for a while!! You'd think I would have remembered from last year though. Enormous quantities of food and wine the evening before do not leave you gasping for more food the following morning!!!!!!!

The weather continued to be glorious and we drove slowly from Devon and into Dorset.  Ordinarily we would have met my friend Farishta for lunch if we were anywhere in the vicinity, but she has moved to London so no chance of meeting her by the beach on Sunday. We decided to head into Lyme Regis anyway, partly for a walk along the seafront but mostly so we could go to the wonderful fish shop down by The Cobb. Mission accomplished and much fresh fish acquired, we made our way in a seemly manner to Bridport where there is a Waitrose and  I wanted to do some Waitrose shopping. We struggled a bit to find the carpark but parked up eventually.  Shopping accomplished, we mosied from Dorset into Hampshire, in search of some lunch.  And lo.  The Wheatsheaf is in Hampshire. And they do lunch :-)  I'm not sure I really did my lunch justice.  I still wasn't particularly hungry. Even The Builder failed to finish all his vegetables. But I certainly enjoyed my lunch.  And either they were very busy or Matthew has decided he isn't talking to us.  He and his two waiting staff ran about like scalded things. And there seemed to be LOTS of people hanging about at tables outside. (But he did recharge my iPhone, so he can't have gone off us that much :-P  )

And then we came home again.

I had yesterday off to catch up with things. We went to Chatsworth to the garden centre and to the farm shop.  We went to Bakewell to go to the gift shop to buy new wallets. While we were there, I picked up a new peg bag. I realise the peg bag was nearly £7 but it looked quite sturdy and I thought it was cute. Up to the till I went to pay.  I wasn't quite sure that I had heard the lady correctly when she announced the total and sort of stared at her, open-mouthed.  So she showed me the till receipt.  £41?  FORTY ONE POUNDS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! For a peg bag and two wallets?  I don't think so, thank you.  I'll just have the peg bag. Went out into the market and bought two wallets which were absolutely identical from a market stall for £20. Much closer to what I had been expecting!!

They sell zebra meat in the Bakewell Farmers' shop. I don't think it's farmed locally though.  I have never seen zebras wandering around the farms in the Peak District :-P

Chatsworth Farm Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment