Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dishcloth swap

Some months ago Lindsey drew my attention to some self-sufficiency type blogs that she follows.  One or two of them I then followed as well.  There's one in New Zealand, one in Queensland, one in the UK.  I don't follow them daily, but I do keep in general touch.

A few weeks ago the Queensland based blog decided that it would be fun for people who read the blog and play in the forum to knit dishcloths and then swap with  a partner selected by one of the organisers.  Sounded like fun to me, so I signed up and began making squares.  Crocheted, rather than knitted in my case.  Months and months ago I bought on eBay a bundle of wool scraps and I have been occupying myself on the train to and from work crocheting the little squares.

Then I crocheted them together


Then I decided that it needed a backing square.  So I made one


 And then I crocheted them together



I must say that I think it's really rather lovely, though it has turned itself more into a pot holder than a dishcloth.

But there was something of an irony that, with people in four or five countries for my swap buddy to have come from, she should live in Mornington, a mere ten minutes away from where my parents live!!!!!!!

In the meantime, it crosses my mind that if I made large blanket like squares I could have lovely and cheap (if remarkably old fashioned!!) reupholstery for the lounge room furniture which is beginning to look rather tatty

No comments:

Post a Comment