Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, May 06, 2011

Chit Chat

Ross is now back in Australia.  He went to London on the lunchtime train on Wednesday, waved off by Tabitha, Gareth, Cally and Freyja.  Then they came across the road to my office to say hello to me.

We knew they were coming.  We could hear Cally objecting strongly for at least a minute before they came into the office! I wondered if she perhaps had an objection to being in a library, or maybe being surrounded by students.  But it turned out she was objecting to a distinct lack of lunch!!  You can see her point.  I object when lunch is lacking too!!

Cally had her lunch.  Freyja trundled off back to work.  Tabitha, Gareth, Cally and I ambled over to the Millennium Gallery and armed ourselves with ice cream and then went for a stroll through the Winter Gardens and the Peace Gardens while we ate them.  Then we all went our separate ways and I came back to work.

Our Japanese classes started again last week after the Easter holidays.  This seemed a bit odd to me.  I know that Sheffield schools had gone back after the break but Chesterfield ones hadn't.  And it was a very short week, what with the Easter holidays weekend and the Friday Wedding bank holiday and everything.  Plus both lots of Uni students were still on vacation.  Last week really seemed like a vacation week to me.  So I wasn't really looking forward to my Japanese lesson.  I wanted to go home. 

Freyja was having similar thoughts up in her office at T'Other Place.  She was tired and also wanted to go home.  She communicated this to me by email.  We were just deciding that nevertheless we Had To Go to class when - in popped an email into my inbox from the school announcing that classes on Thursday had been cancelled because of a problem with the water main.  Freyja and I were a bit startled.  We were unaware that our psychic powers extended to bursting water mains just so that we could go home early!!!!!  We are going to have to be more careful in future in what we wish for!  We went to class last night.  It was a bit of a worry how much we had forgotten in three weeks.  I really must get back to listening to my language tapes, and to using all that online material I bought!

I had lunch with Tabitha and Cally again today. They had come into town for a health check up and to check out the shops.  We went to the soup and salad shop across the road from the Adsetts Centre and sat outside in the sunshine.  Was very pleasant.  And I'm off out to dinner tonight as well.  The work crew and partners are all off to a Turkish food place on London Road this evening.  I do like Turkish food :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment