Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chicken Kievs

There's a program showing on the Good Food channel in the UK at the moment called Perfect... And they are looking at the perfect puddings, afternoon teas, "takeways" and so on. I think there are 14 or so different episodes. Anyway, one of them was Perfect Chicken and one of the chefs did a chicken kiev. In a twist, he rolled it up like a swiss roll rather than folding it into a classic kiev shape and I decided to give it a go.

I happened to have a couple of fillets hanging about, but they were very big. I decided to have one between us. I put it between sheets of baking parchment and flattened it out, bashing it with my rolling pin until it was lovely and thin. Then I liberally spread one side with butter and garlic and then laid fresh basil leaves on top. Then I rolled it up into a swiss roll, covered it with plastic wrap which is closed tightly around it, and then put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to rest and chill.

Then I followed my usual practice of double dipping in flour, egg and crunchy breadcrumbs, put it in a small baking dish (to catch any stray melted butter) and baked it in a moderate oven for about half an hour.

We had it with boiled jersey royals and asparagus in place of a Sunday roast.

Oh - and I turned the other fillet into chicken schnitzels and we had them on Monday evening with chips and more asparagus



No comments:

Post a Comment