Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Avoiding frosts

I had been thinking of planting out some fo the seedlings last weekend.  Monday was the day I had earmarked for it.  But Monday dawned distinctly on the cool side.  It was spectacularly windy.  We had intermittent squalls of cold rain (but not really enough to be very useful).  I cahnged my mind and decided to hold to the original plan of waiting until the long weekend.

Just as well, really.  Last night they forecast the possibility of ground frosts!!  I don't think they materialised in our garden, but it was definitely cold when I got up this morning.  I don't think the squashes, pumpkins or sweet corn would have been very happy!  Things that are tolerably hardy are still suffering from the effects of that last, late, hard frost that we had!

On the other hand, many things are more than happy.  Here is the view from the kitchen on Sunday:




No comments:

Post a Comment