Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, March 08, 2010

Homity Pie

Last Wednesday, as we were thinking about making our various ways to Japanese, Freyja said that it was a great pity neither of us had time to dash to the Blue Moon cafe for some homity pie.  Indeed it was. But it set me to thinking.  Homity pie couldn't be *that* difficult to make, surely.  After all, it's basically just mashed potato, leeks, peas and cheese in a pastry case.

So yesterday I made some.

The Builder peeled a mountain of potatoes, which I simmered in a pot of vegetable stock (I used the potatoey vegetable stock afterwards to make a split pea soup - frugality in abundance at our place.  Giggling at the idea of abundant frugality!!)

Anyway.  I mashed the potatoes with a tub of extra light philadalphia cheese and added some sauteed leeks and garlic and a healthy handful of soya beans (didn't have any peas).

I made a light shortcrust pastry and lined six small foil dishes with the rolled out pastry.  I then put a large dollop of the mash and vegetables in each one and baked in the oven until the pastry was pretty much cooked.  I didn't bother blind baking the pastry. I figured the mash would cope with being in the oven for half an hour or so.

When the pies were very nearly cooked I put some grated cheddar and parmesan-style cheese on top and turned the oven up to brown the cheese.

Five of the pies are in the freezer. The sixth I divided up for The Builder and me to try as a taste test. And very tasty they are too.

It was quite a foody weekend.  We went to Zeugma Turkish restaurant in Sheffield on Saturday night. And yesterday in addition to the pies I made a pot of venison and ale stew, a pot of split pea soup and a smaller pot of Japanese style chicken noodle soup. And we had a roasted pork joint for dinner with roasted potatoes and veg and an apply gravy.

Now, if anyone can enlighten me as to why they're called "homity" pies, I would be very grateful. I know they came into their own during WWII as an austerity food - but why the name?

No comments:

Post a Comment