Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Fish and chips for dinner

... And very delicious they were too

I oven cooked the chips, so they were pretty much chip shaped roasties :-)

We had broad beans and runner beans from last season's veg crop.

And a lemon and white wine sauce.

And the fish?


The fish was a piece of monkfish tail, which I bought at Chatsworth at the weekend. Monkfish is expensive, so I didn't buy a huge piece. I did, however, also buy two large scallops with roe attached and a packet of unsmoked bacon.  I took the monkfish and put it in a small baking tray.  I thinly sliced the scallops and layered them over the top of the fish. Then I wrapped it all in rashers of bacon and put the juice of a lemon and a glass of dry white wine in the bottom of the baking tray.  Then I put it at the bottom of the oven and the chips in a second baking tray (with a healthy dollop of vegetable oil scattered over) in the top of the oven which was set to 200d.  When the chips were crispy I swapped the trays over to crisp up the bacon a bit.

The fish and scallops had steamed beautifully inside the bacon and were tender and moist.

I put some of the water the vegetables had steamed in into the bottom of the fishy baking tray and a little more lemon juice, and I thickened it with a little cornflour to form a lemony sauce.

Let me know when you're next coming to dinner - and I'll do it again

No comments:

Post a Comment