Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Winter lamb stew with cheesey scone topping

I follow the BBC Good Food people on Twitter. A couple of days ago they posted a link to a list of comforting, warming winter foods. The first of these was a beef stew with a muffin topping. English muffin, rather than American muffin, I presume. It looked very tasty. I had some left over roast shoulder from Sunday and decided to make a stew with that, rather than beef and see what happened.


I shredded the meat and added some onion, some mushrooms, a bit of shredded cabbage and some of Sunday's left over gravy, and popped that on to stew quietly while I considered the topping. I made a variation of the BBC's recipe, substituting parmesan for cheddar cheese (didn't have any cheddar) and using skimmed milk for the mix. It was pretty much a scone mix, I think.


I piled the scone mix on top of the hot, added some extra parmesan on top, then put the dish in an oven at 190d for about 20 minutes. The scone mix rose magnificently :-)








I served it with potatoes, sprouts and carrots







And a rich gravy.






It was extremely delicious, but the scone mix rose so successfully that there was rather too much scone compared to stew. By the time I had eaten half my scone, I was running out of room for the stew and veg. On the other hand, it's much lighter and I think it's probably also much healthier than dumplings. So I'll make it again, but put half the depth of scone in, I think

No comments:

Post a Comment