Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, January 29, 2010

I spoke to both Jeremy and Joan at lunchtime today.

Funeral proceedings are being held up by a queue at the crem. Joan said because of the flu pandemic – but I don’t think that can be right. If there were that many flu-related deaths the papers would be screaming and yelling about the imminent end of civilisation as we know it, not to mention chaos, mayhem, and the probably cessation of the human species. They are not mentioning flu at all at the moment. But I have over the past few years noted a seasonal queue at various crematoria in January. I think it’s the cold that does for folks, although none of the people that I have known who have been queuing have actually died of temperature related causes.

Anyway. Not next week, but possibly the week after there will be a small, private funeral for immediate family. Then, probably in March, there will be a huge, enormous memorial service to which the whole world will be invited.

In the meantime, Tim is going home (about now) for a few days to catch up there. Penny is arriving (in about an hour) to stay until Tim gets back early next week. Jeremy and Jill have been in almost continual attendance this week and are having the weekend at home (but popping in from time to time). The Builder and I will drop in for a short time on Sunday afternoon.

And Joan is, as far as I can tell, being engulfed by sympathy cards. I might buy a pot plant to take with us on Sunday. I wonder if I should make a stew as well. People always take stew into bereaved households, don’t they?

No comments:

Post a Comment