From time to time I get emails advising me where you can go to get a Sunday roast in and around Melbourne. A little while ago a "British style" pub in St Kilda, called The Lion and Wombat came to my attention - largely because of its name. I tried to book for a Sunday in June but they were all booked up online. This seemed odd, so I rang them. Ah. They do a Christmas in July menu on Sundays in July, which were all booked up. People had booked up June to get in before July. The first couple of Sundays in August were also booked up.
This suggests that their food is good. I put them on my list of places to go and eat.
Lindsey wasn't working on Thursday and suggested we go out for lunch rather than dinner. Lunch is my preferred meal out but Lindsey has been busy on the past few Thursdays and we have been out for an early dinner instead. She suggested we go to "that pub in St Kilda". I pondered this and then remembered the Lion and Wombat. So we hopped on a tram and out we went.
It's very cute. Also it was quite empty when we got there at 12:15 but it doesn't open until 12 and more people came in after us
I enjoyed my cheeseburger and chips - the chips were especially good. Lindsey very much enjoyed her lamb pie and mash. It was easy to get to. The staff were friendly and helpful. I will consult the others and organise to book a Sunday lunch there.
We came back via the Bunnings in Collingwood, which is an easy stroll to Lindsey's flat and an easy tram or train ride to mine. I had intended to get some new handles for my long abandoned Kitchen Cupboard Handle project but then I thought that perhaps it would work if I bought some differently sized screws, which would be considerably cheaper. I had screws which were slightly too long or slightly too short. I took one of each with me and found some which seemed to be in between. Then Lindsey went to collect a package and I went to the nearby station to catch a train home.
The train arrived. I got on. The train went on to the next station. And stopped. For ages. Then a rather tetchy driver came on the intercom to tell us that the train could not proceed because "There are VANDALS holding a door open towards the back of the train and spraying graffiti. We cannot move until that door is closed!" Not what I was expecting on my way home! Shortly after someone obviously sorted them out, or they got bored, or whatever, the doors closed and the train moved on.
The new screws were a perfect size and so finally, finally, finally - I have completed the Kitchen Cupboard Handle project. It took close to no time, once I had the right sized screws to work with






No comments:
Post a Comment