If you look closely at the "before" photos of my bedroom, you will notice that there is a mattress propped up alongside the bed, next to the wall. There was also, of course, a mattress on the bed. Once I dismantled the bed, there were two single mattresses that were surplus to requirements.
If we had had the time on the Sunday when Freyja and Simon came to assemble the new bed, we would have taken them down to the hard rubbish cage but you can only do that while the concierge is there to give you the key. There wouldn't have been time to get the key, go down twice to the basement with the mattresses and hand the key back before the concierge left on the Sunday. So we propped them up against the dresser in the living area until someone came round at an appropriate time to help carry them down.
I was a bit sad about the Koala mattress. They are quite expensive and I had only had it a few months and it was in good condition. It seemed a pity to send it to landfill but I definitely don't have space to be storing extra mattresses, especially when I really don't need them.
Then Facebook brought to my attention the Mattress Recycling Company. I looked into them, did a bit of investigating and booked for them to come on Friday, between 8 and 12 to take the Koala mattress away. If they can refresh and recondition the mattresses they send them to people in need. Otherwise they strip them down and send the component parts for recycling.
They turned up on Friday at 10:00, exactly half way in the time slot. They asked if they were taking both the mattresses. No, I've only paid for one. Was the second mattress being thrown out? Eventually, yes. Then they were happy to take two for the p[rice of one because they were short of single mattresses and would take any they could get hold of. And so, my living space was unexpectedly free of mattresses. Excellent!


No comments:
Post a Comment