Kurashiki, Japan, May 2026

Monday, July 27, 2026

Food

 So much food!

A couple of weeks ago Freyja said that she and Simon were going to a pop-up vegan degustation menu at Farmer's Daughters in Exhibition Street and did I want to go?

Of course I wanted to go. I love degustation menus. Lindsey would have come too but she was at a conference during the day so was unavailable.

The pop-up was a collaboration between the chefs at Farmers Daughters, which is not a vegan restaurant and Yellow from Sydney, which is. There were several service times; we were too late to book the lunchtime and mid-afternoon services so went at 5:45.

This was the menu, which showcased produce from Gippsland:


And this was the food:

We had the potato bread and pickles to start

And we had the snacks

More snacks

They were very careful with my food allergies
My noodles had an olive oil based dressing

This was my least favourite course.
I am not a big fan of
smoked carrots.
I did like the tiny carrot shards though

They made my pumpkin dish with
cauliflower

because the mole had nuts in it.
Freyja said it was very complex in flavour

The main course - showcasing potatoes
I really wish I could make
potato crackling like this
It was amazing!

My very pretty, nut free dessert

Freyja and Simon's nutty dessert
to share


It was a lovely evening. The food was fabulous. I hadn't previously been aware of Farmer's Daughters. I am very tempted to go one day for their regular menu. Their usual vegan offerings aren't very exciting, and they had invited Yellow to come to play so they could make their vegan options more enticing.  I, however,  am neither vegan nor vegetarian and their omnivore menu does look interesting. 

There was one more service after ours so we left just after 8. I went back with Freyja and Simon in a taxi. They were meeting Ross at the stadium for the football. Ross had been there for the first half; Freyja and Simon joined him for the second. I just went home.


I went to the Alphington market on Sunday morning for the first time in several weeks. I definitely needed some vegetables. My fridge was down to one, very sad looking spring onion. Lindsey came too and we met Freyja and Simon there. It was a lovely morning and the market was very busy. We managed to grab a table in the coffee area after doing the shopping and had drinks and shared a vegetable focaccia, then Freyja and Simon took us to Clifton Hill station - we had just missed a train and two lines run into the city at Clifton Hill.

I joined Lindsey and Ian in the Quarterhouse for an early dinner on Sunday evening.  I had their Sunday roast and brought many of the vegetables home with me. So my fridge has gone from a vegetable drought to a vegetable bounty. I may have to deploy the freezer at some stage this week. And make stews and soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment