Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Monday, July 15, 2024

That was My Week

On Tuesday I pottered around at home. Then I went and bought flowers. And then I drove back down to Northcote, where I was spending the night with Ghost.

In contrast to Sunday evening, when, you may remember, the view from the bedroom window looked like this:


On Tuesday afternoon, it looked like this:




Fortunately, by the time I was due to meet Lindsey just before 7, the rain had turned to a steady but light drizzle.  We went across to Station Street in Fairfield, a mere five minute drive from Ghost's Pad, where we had dinner in Okami, an all you can eat Japanese restaurant. You pay a set price for two hours' worth of whatever food you want, drinks extra. We went to one in Sunbury early in December and rather enjoyed it. The chain had announced that it would be closing most of its restaurants, including Sunbury and the one in Ballarat. We were surprised, because the one in Sunbury was very busy when we were there. I think, though, that they must have changed their minds because the Fairfield one is definitely still open, and was also very busy. I checked and the Sunbury and Ballarat restaurants are also still open. Must visit the Ballarat one sometime.

I was once again opening at work on Wednesday. It was such a pleasure going from Northcote rather than Mount Helen. Instead of rushing out into the dark, rain and cold at 5:30, I left in a much more measured manner at 7:10 and walked into work at 7:25. Much better! I may need to move to Northcote. 

Getting back to Mount Helen after work was an altogether more challenging adventure. There was a very large chemical fire in a factory not far from the ring road which, unsurprisingly, was closed to traffic. Everyone was diverted along the Calder which was, also unsurprisingly, very busy. Still, I got home at a reasonable time, the cats were pleased to see me and we were warm, fed and cosy in no time.

On Thursday Lindsey and I went out in search of a new power cord for my bedroom clock. The plug on the previous one had cracked and fallen apart when I pulled it out of the socket. I had brought Stella's clock into play as a substitute, but it was like sleeping under an arc light and I couldn't find any way to make it dimmer. We tried JB Hi-Fi, but they didn't have any and referred us to Jaycar across the road, a place I had never heard of, but which did have what I was after. I now have a functioning clock in my bedroom, without being blinded (and kept awake) overnight. 

We tried to go to the market on Saturday but it was impossible to find a parking space. So we went out to Elaine and visited the farmgate shop instead. We had been out to Smythes Creek on Thursday. Plus, Lindsey's veg box had come on Friday so we are well placed for fruit, veg and meat.The veg box had mysteriously transformed itself into a fruit and veg box, so we are even better off for fruit than usual. Although we don't eat a lot of fruit, so I have changed it back to a veg only box. We do eat a lot of veggies.

The weather continues to be cold, wet, dismal and grey. Brandy and Whiskey are unimpressed by this if they want to go outside. They enjoy it while they are inside - the couch blanket and the fire are nice and cosy


A Ghostly Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment