Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, April 03, 2024

Easter Weekend

Dawn, Easter morning 
from my front door


It was a busy, foodie and sociable Easter.

On Friday, Stella and I had been invited to my friend Pat's place for lunch. Also there were Pat's Sister in Law Margaret and Neighbour Lynn. We had a very delicious lunch; the main course was fish mornay in vol au vents, as befitted the day. I hadn't met Neighbour Lynn before and haven't seen Margaret in a very long time. It was a good day.

On Saturday, Wendy came up from Melbourne. We went out to the Mushroom Farm (now the Smythes Creek Farmgate Shop) and to Dan Murphy's where I bought quite a lot of non alcoholic supplies and no alcohol! We went to Big W and to the IGA. We visited Stella. We had salmon and chips for dinner.

On Sunday, Stella, Wendy and I hosted Easter lunch. Freyja and Simon came. So did a few other relatives. We had (not enough!) roast potatoes and potato gems. We had salad made with tomatoes, cucumber and capsicum from the garden. We had lots of vegan friendly food, omnivore friendly food, merriment and non alcoholic beverages. But not enough roast potatoes!

On Monday the balmy, warm, pleasant Easter weekend weather broke and later in the day the heavens opened. Wendy and I went to Melbourne late in the afternoon and I got to the flat just as the rain caught up with us. It had been chasing us down the freeway but we were just ahead of it until I dropped Wendy off at her car, when the first wave reached us. By the time I got to the flat it was positively torrential. The temperature has noticeably dropped. It may almost be time to get out the long sleeved shirts. And to find the umbrella which is usually in the car and which seems to have disappeared.


Stella, Good Friday

Pat, Good Friday

Simon and Stella, Easter Sunday

Freyja and Cheeky Chops Stella,
Easter Sunday

Do you remember the possum, who so upset Brandy a few nights ago?

I was pottering around outside on Friday in the early evening, when I heard a clicketty, clicketty, clip, clop, click. I looked around and there was what I assume was the same possum walking along the side fence, towards the little apple trees. I really didn't want it to come down into the back garden. Once it got in there it almost certainly wouldn't be able to get out again and that really wouldn't go well. I persuaded it that it would be in its best interest to head back into the little woodland.

On Saturday, at about the same time, it was back on the fence, pottering along, contemplating running down the apple trees into the backyard. Once again, I persuaded it that this was a very bad plan. Wendy tells me that after I had gone to bed, she saw it having a happy bath in my bird bath out the front. 



I don't think it can be particularly well. It certainly has a damaged foot, although that doesn't seem to be impeding it much. But I wouldn't expect a country possum to let me get quite this close to it. It didn't seem to be perturbed by me at all - although I wasn't rushing towards it chasing an angry cat.

I hope it hasn't decided to move in. Possums are protected so I can't force it to move on but I don't really need a resident possum. I'm sure it would be much happier somewhere else!

I was at work yesterday (which is why I was in East Melbourne on Monday night - I didn't fancy leaving home yesterday morning at 5:30 when I could leave the flat at 7). I am not at work today. It is a bit disconcerting being at home on a Wednesday morning!


Hugo, Brandy and Whiskey, enjoying the Easter break:

Wendy took this photo of Hugo



No comments:

Post a Comment