Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, September 23, 2023

Abandoned

I'm beginning to feel slightly abandoned!

Both of my unit neighbours are planning to move out.

Neighbour #1 is moving into a house with a friend in the centre of Ballarat.

Neighbour #2 is moving in with a friend on the other side of Buninyong.

They both cite the rising cost of living and the increase in their weekly rental as the reason for going. Neighbour #2 has been here for 13 years, first in Unit 1 and then in Unit 2. He must have been here pretty much since the units were built. His rent had been increased by $30 a week, which seems extortionate to me. And to him! It seems very short sighted to me to get rid of a longstanding tenant who causes no trouble, pays his rent and looks after the property well.

There is a For Lease board up at the bottom of the driveway.

The people in house #7 have moved out and turned their house into an AirBNB while they are waiting for it to sell. You might wonder why people would want an AirBNB in Mount Helen but it is very well used at weekends and there are often people here during the week.

I am beginning to wonder if it was something that I said

Even my car abandoned me yesterday, after Lindsey's car had an argument with a kangaroo on the freeway on Thursday night. I think the kangaroo came off second best, but Lindsey's car was very definitely not well. So she borrowed my car to get to her meeting in Bendigo and I had an unexpected day off work.

Fortunately, I am not expecting to be completely abandoned over the weekend. There are plans both for today and tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment