Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, August 28, 2023

Wallace Hotel

Freyja and Simon were in Ballarat over the weekend and stayed at my place on Saturday night. Freyja was keen to try the Wallace Hotel for Sunday lunch. She had seen good reviews on Happy Cow and thought it was worth a try. So we invited Stella, Lindsey and Ian and trundled out to see what it was like.

Wallace is a small village of about 250 people around  15 or 20 minutes' drive from Mount Helen in rather nice countryside. 

I had rung early on Sunday morning to book a table, expecting to get a voicemail service. Much to my surprise a real person had answered the phone. I was quite shocked - and worried that I might have woken her up. She assured me that she was already awake (it was 8:30 and I had been up for hours) and booked us in. I am sorry to have disturbed her so early, but I am pleased I booked. The dining room was almost full when we got there at 12:30. 

The presence of so many people in an out of the way pub augured well for the quality of the food. And it was absolutely delicious and beautifully presented. The pub has a lovely atmosphere and friendly staff. We will definitely go there again. Plus, as an extra advantage, it has a separate vegan menu and appears to cater for almost all dietary requirements.




I can't say I was expecting to find an old style Melbourne tram
in the beer garden


Sunday roast beef.
There was a mountain of roast potatoes under all that


And a Sunday roast for the vegans
Falafel also with roast potatoes hidden underneath

In other news, Jim had his cremation on Thursday afternoon. I have to go into town tomorrow so will pick up his ashes then. Always assuming I can find the crematorium. I believe it is the new cemetery in Doveton Street. Until last week I was unaware there was a new cemetery in Doveton Street, although I assume I have driven past it and not noticed it.

I can't do any of the paperwork that is waiting, until I get the death certificate. I do now have a form from his personal pension company to fill in to see if I am eligible for a spousal stipend. They want the originals of our marriage certificate and the death certificate. They are not getting the originals. I will ask my solicitor to do formally certified copies of them when I go to arrange probate. Which I can't do until 30 days has passed, assuming I am still alive.  I need to organise a new will, which I'll do when I go in for probate. And then there are banks and other institutions who will need to be told, but I am definitely going to worry about that later.

Right now, I am going to sort out the washing and then take my jug of home made vegetable soup up to Rupert and Hugo's place so they can have a loo stop and a bit of company. Then I will go and visit Stella. And then the day will be more or less done. I have quite a strong sense of "time's wingèd chariot" dashing past although I don't know why. As far as I can tell there is no hurry for anything. Apart from heading up to let Rupert and Hugo out for a wee 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment