Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Easter

We had a very pleasant, if quiet Easter weekend.

Lindsey and I went to the Ballarat Market on Saturday morning, managing to dodge the rain. It was busier than I expected, given the rain, the cool temperature and the school holidays meaning that some people and stall holders were  away. We called into Kmart on the way past and then went out to the Elaine Farmgate Shop to get some lamb for Sunday lunch. We visited Stella and Jim in the afternoon - and that was the day done!

On  Easter Sunday I collected both Jim and Stella and we went to Lindsey and Ian's place for lunch. Rupert and Hugo were very pleased to see us. I had bought some dog donuts for them at the Elaine Farmgate Shop, which might have had something to do with their pleasure. Although they were also very pleased to see Stella and Jim. We had slow roasted lamb with lots and lots of roast potatoes. Very delicious.

Stella has a new great granddaughter and wanted to buy her a teddy of some sort. Lindsey and I had seen some lovely highland cows at the Elaine shop when we were there on Saturday, so I took Stella out there yesterday. A highland cow for the baby and an alpaca for her big sister. We came back through Mount Doran and Mount Egerton, just because we could. We drove along some roads that I don't remember having driven before and it was a lovely drive. I was a tiny bit surprised, though, to come up over a hill and round a corner, no buildings or other signs of life in sight, to find a tow truck and a police car, lights on. I was already going quite slowly, so no cause for alarm. Also, no people in view. I looked down a slope and saw several people and a vehicle. I don't know what had happened but it wouldn't be absolutely surprising if the car had missed the corner and trundled down the slope. I was driving slowly because the roads were wet, the corners were blind and I don't know the road. If I had been going at the speed limit (100 km/h) I might easily have found it difficult to stay on the road.

We didn't stop. There was nothing we could do to help, so we continued on our way, admiring the view and watching the road.

Stella had been to the morning exercise class, and then out for a fun drive in the countryside, plus she had bought a highland cow and an alpaca. We had assumed that the Monday book club wouldn't be happening because of the public holiday. It turns out that it was on, but Stella decided she was too tired to go. It had been not just a busy day, but a busy two days. Time for a cup of tea, a biscuit and a nice sit down.

The Easter weekend was cool and damp. The sun is shining this morning. I am hoping the weather will hold so I can get out into the gardens. There is a great deal to be done and so little time to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment