Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, February 09, 2021

This and That

There are alien invaders in my asparagus bed! The asparagus is only new. Positively babies. We won't be eating asparagus from them for at least a year and more probably two. I didn't plant anything else in the bed. I intend to plant two more asparagus plants next season but nothing else.

And then these turned up:



I suppose, strictly speaking, they count as weeds.  But I won't pull them up just yet.  Tasty weeds and cheerful weeds are usually welcome in my garden.  

There are a few tomato plants that are growing, self invited, in my backyard vegetable beds. And without exception they are doing much better than the ones I carefully cultivated from seeds, in pots out the front.  I had expected the ones out the front to do quite well. They get the bulk of the sunshine throughout the day. But I think it's been a bit cold for them. You could not say that this has been a hot summer. Distinctly on the cool side, so far at least. And the tomato plants are not thriving.  Still, at least they are not dying.  I will nurture them along and see what happens. If we have a mild autumn there is yet time for a tomato harvest.

We are getting zucchini, spinach, carrots and celery, although we have finished the carrots until the next crop is ready. We have also finished the broad beans at Hill House, though I notice that the plants are shooting from the bottom again and there are new flowers. We may get a second crop! Lindsey has bought a positive mountain of vegetable seeds.  I think we may have enough for the next decade or so! I must sort them out and check my seeds to see if there are any gaps.  It is hard to imagine there will be but you never know. We will definitely need more broad bean seeds for next season.  The packet that came with her seed mountain only has ten seeds and that won't do at all.

We had a lovely weekend at Mount Martha. We didn't do anything particularly exciting but we ate well and pottered around and Stella seemed to enjoy it. I went to the Mushroom Farm on Saturday before we headed down and got loads of tasty treats and yummy things, so Stella is well supplied for this week.

I said that it has so far been a cool summer.  It has also been quite chilly at night this week.  I am considering getting the extra blankets out.  And yesterday morning I went into our bedroom at around 6:30 or perhaps 7 and found this:

Brandy doesn't usually snuggle up with
Jim first thing in the morning.
I think he was cold


No comments:

Post a Comment