Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Lockdown #5

 Day #5 of our short, sharp lockdown was a very pleasant day indeed.

The sun shone. It was pleasantly warm. The wind was still.

Lindsey and Ian were both at work so Jim and I wandered up to feed, water and entertain Rupert and Hugo (animal care is permitted during lockdown and we couldn't leave them on their own for all those hours). While we were there I made a start on pruning the broad bean plants which, you may remember, have started to sprout again from the bottom. I thought it might be easier to see what was going on if I pruned away the old growth. And so it was.  I only did half or so because pruning broad beans in the middle of the day is hot work when it is around 30d and you have failed to bring a hat with you.  It's OK.  I'll do the rest the next time I am up there.

The biggest excitement of the day was when I was outside throwing balls for Rupert and Hugo to chase. We were interrupted by the sound of a vehicle. Not many unexpected vehicles come to Lindsey and Ian's place and I knew it couldn't be either of them. We stopped playing ball games and went to investigate. And up the driveway came a Great Big White Van, bearing boxes and boxes of wine for Lindsey. Alas, the wine is non-alcoholic so not all that exciting for me, but the appearance of an unexpected Great Big White Van was very exciting for Rupert and Hugo.

Apart from that it was a quiet, peaceful, calm lockdown day. The last of this current iteration. From midnight last night most restrictions have reverted to where they were last Friday. We can only have five visitors a day but that won't inconvenience me. I am not expecting vast numbers of visitors in the next couple of weeks.

Stella remains in hospital. She had to have a small procedure on her head to stop it bleeding. But she should be coming home today and then will come to  Hill House for the weekend for convalescence.

It is shaping up to be a lovely morning, although it is a bit windy. And I expect the beeping machines will be back today. Construction activities can recommence this morning.

Rupert

and Hugo

Enjoying the peace of Lockdown Life


No comments:

Post a Comment