Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Monday, October 14, 2024

Two More Markets and Another Pub

It was a busy weekend. It was also a very pleasant weekend, weather-wise.

Lindsey and I made it to the Lake market this time. We even managed to get a parking spot quite close to the entrance. We were lucky with that. The market was very busy and there weren't many free parking spots. I think the bloke in the car behind us was a bit disappointed that we noticed the spot and got in first!

Tim's Toasties weren't there, but Bruce's Buns were. We have encountered them once before, when the market was alongside the lake and the weather was wet and cold. They do crusty rolls with spit roasted meat. Lindsey and I shared a beef and gravy roll. I also topped up my supplies of flavoured oils, tomatoes, eggs and tiny mushrooms.  I bought a couple of locally made things to take with me to Japan. The market was bustling and everyone seemed happy.

I finally got around to cutting the grass out the front, and to weeding the garden bed around the rose bush. I am planning to top up the soil and to throw some mixed salad seeds in and see what happens.

Yesterday found Lindsey and me taking the 9:20 train to Melbourne. We had tickets to the Finders Keepers market at the Exhibition Buildings in Carlton. It's Seniors' Festival month in Victoria and public transport is free across the state for people with a Senior's Travel card from yesterday until next Sunday. So our train and tram rides cost nothing and we had a gentle, restful trip on the train in both directions.

The Makers' Market was very busy and had lots of fun things to look at. I bought another couple of things to take to Japan, and a small vase for Freyja. Lindsey bought things for Japan, Canada and Sydney. Then we met Freyja and Simon and walked across to Lygon Street and had lunch in a pub, that I hadn't previously noticed, which serves American Diner style food. When I say we had lunch in the pub - the weather was warm enough for us to sit outside, so we did. I may not have the loaded chips again. They were very delicious but it was a big serving and I didn't really need chips with bacon and American style melted cheese AND gravy, along with two pieces of chicken. Next time (and I hope there will be a next time) I will have chicken with ordinary chips and gravy.


Busy and bustling in the Exhibition Building

The Exhibition Building in the sunshine

Me, also in the sunshine

Freyja and Simon on the bus,
on their way to meet us 

I didn't get a photo of Lindsey, but she was definitely there.



In other news, the new dishwasher arrived on Thursday, was installed and is now up and running. I am having to learn how to stack it - the baskets are slightly different.



I have also bought an induction cooktop for the kitchen and two solar lights for the hallway. The electrician will come to install them when I get back from Japan.

And very, very early on Friday morning, before dawn, while I was making my first cup of tea, I heard Brandy making his "I am definitely not happy about this" noises. I went to investigate, expecting to find the grey cat which often appears in the garden or on the fence. That is not what I found. I found this:


It's a brush tailed possum, which most fortunately was in a tree in the back neighbour's garden. It's quite a bit bigger than the little ring tailed possums we more often see around here. I am VERY pleased that it was not in my backyard. I'm not sure how I would have got it out. The back fence doesn't have a gate so the only way out is through the house. I do not think Brandy would be happy if there was a possum in the house. I don't think the possum would be happy either. Possums can't climb the metal fences, although I suppose I could put things along the fence that they could use to help get out. Happily, the need didn't arise and it was well and truly gone by the time I got home from work.

It's cold, gloomy and windy again today. I don't think I'll be sitting outside to have my lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment