Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Friday, October 25, 2024

Arashiyama, Kyoto

The flight to Osaka left on time, to my surprise. The last couple of times I have flown from Cairns to Osaka, the flights have been very delayed. The flight was uneventful, and landed around 20 minutes early.

If you should be planning a trip to Japan, may I suggest that you take the trouble to fill in the online entry form on Visit Japan Web. It's not compulsory but it does make your journey through Immigration and Customs very much easier. It does not mean that your luggage will appear any faster. (Looking at you, bright orange suitcase belonging to Lindsey!!!)

We stayed, as is our habit, in the airport hotel which begins to feel a lot like home. We know where everything is, including the convenience stores and other useful things. I did not know that if you buy your breakfast vouchers at checkin you get a ¥2000 per person discount. I did know that seniors get a discount. A double discount!

"You must be excited," people would say in the run up to my leaving. I am never excited until I am in the hotel room with a glass of wine in one hand and an onigiri in the other. 


Breakfast is expensive, even with the double discount, but it is an extensive, all you can eat buffet with top quality food. I may have had two breakfasts!


Accidentally carb-free

Also mostly carb free
Also accidental

View from the hotel room

We took the Hello Kitty train to Kyoto. She's decked out for autumn. I hadn't realised that the Hello Kitty decals were seasonal




I like the train ride to Kyoto. It's about 80 minutes and is pleasantly relaxing, allowing me to get my head gently back into Japan Mode. We had considered all the alternatives for getting from Kyoto Station to Arashiyama. We discounted the bus almost immediately. It is possible to do it by train, but the direct route comes into a station 1.5 km from our hotel. The route to the closest station required two changes. Neither of these would be problematic, except that Lindsey has a lot of luggage, accommodating a two week holiday in Japan followed by a business conference in the Gold Coast. Plus, of course, chocolate and snack supplies for Austin and Kaori.

We took a taxi - which was a little over $A40. It cost me almost that much to get from my place to the station in Ballarat, which is significantly closer.

Arashiyama is a delightful part of Kyoto. Our hotel is seriously cute. We are close to the Monkey Park and the bamboo grove. We are close to the river and to street food outlets and to gift and tourist shops. The location is phenomenal

We were much too early to check in so dropped our luggage and headed to the monkeys. To get to the viewing station you have to climb what is quite a steep hill on a very uneven path. I got about half way up and decided that I would be perfectly happy sitting in the little seated area while Lindsey carried on up to the top. My knees and ankles were definitely not happy! I was happy. It was a peaceful spot to sit, surrounded by trees and many passing people. Some people chose to sit and wait in the same spot. Others rested there and carried on.

I saw a monkey. Lindsey saw lots plus some deer up at the viewing station at the top.



Back at the bottom, we had an ice cream and then went for a wander






The leaves are just starting to turn into their autumn colours.

We picked up lunch/dinner supplies at the convenience store at the nearby station, had a picnic very late lunch/early dinner and checked into our very cute hotel room. The only downside is that there isn't a kettle in the room. You have to go down to the little Scandi-style lounge area to use the tea and coffee making facilities there.

Which I am just about to do. My first cup of tea is long gone and I would be happy to have another. The cups are small!

No comments:

Post a Comment