Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Lunches and Jewels

Wendy has been coming up fairly regularly on Fridays to visit Stella. Usually, as you are aware, I am at work, so it gives Stella another visitor to keep her amused.

Last week I worked Tuesday and Thursday. Wendy came up as usual on Friday and we were going to take Stella out to the Wendouree shopping centre. Unfortunately, Stella had some sort of stomach bug and wasn't up to going out. So Wendy and I went to Wendouree anyway. She hadn't been there before, it has places for lunch, it made her trip up from Melbourne worthwhile.

I called in to see Stella on Saturday to find that she was much better. She had been unhappy about missing out on her shopping trip on Friday but did agree that it is unwise for people with stomach upsets to out adventuring. I am working Wednesday and Thursday this week so we will try again on Friday (I am hoping to get back to my regular Wednesdays and Fridays in the immediate future!!!)

In the meantime, Lindsey and I took her out to lunch at the Red Lion on Sunday. I rang mid-morning to see if she was well enough for a Sunday roast. While we were chatting she said that she wasn't sure where her phone was. I considered this. If you can't find your phone, how are you talking to me? You could hear her thinking: Stupid woman, as she replied: I'm using my Apple Watch of course!  Not bad for a 90 year old.

We have been to the Red Lion once before. Lindsey and Stella rather liked it but I thought I preferred the Golden Point. But, you know, we need to spread the love. And this time I decided I did rather like the Red Lion. In the first place, they do a roast on Sundays, which the Golden Point does not. And it was much cosier than the Golden Point. We will go there again



The plates of food were ENORMOUS and very delicious. Hugo was appreciative of the size of the plates - we took the left overs home in a doggy bag for the doggy.

Winter may have officially started on Saturday but the weather has been on the chilly side for a few weeks now.  The silverbeet is thriving still but the capsicum plants were beginning to suffer. I picked the little capsicums and pulled the plants. Now I have another bowl of shiny jewels on the kitchen bench, next to the bowl of shiny tomato jewels:


They make the kitchen very cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment