Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Cold!

My goodness but it was cold yesterday.

I went out to get in the car just before 6:30 am and the car was frozen. Absolutely frozen. I don't have an ice scraper in the car. I don't have an ice scraper at all. I don't recall having needed one since I left Tupton. It is true that I usually kept the car in the garage before the door gizmo broke. but there have been enough cold winter nights when it has been outside and it hasn't iced over quite that much.

I used the side of a packet of Japanese mints to scrape the windows. This did not do the mints inside much good. I have found a window scraper in the laundry (the kind you use after you have washed the house windows). I have put that in the car, Just In Case. I think it may work better than the side of a Japanese mint packet, and perhaps not destroy the mints.

It has been unusually cold for June, even in Ballarat. I think it's supposed to warm up, ever so slightly over the next few days. Although not much. A high of 9d today, rising to the heady heights of 11 on Sunday

In other news, I have taken flowers, chocolates and cards into Stella's care home, and chocolates, a fruit platter and a card to her GP practice. Lindsey and I are meeting with the funeral director this morning. I have pyjamas, a dressing gown and slippers ready to take, plus the Tony Bear, who is going with Stella. The funeral director was a bit shocked that I didn't also have underwear for Stella to wear, but this family does not wear underwear overnight. And anyway, there aren't any knickers or bras. There weren't many and I have already thrown them away.



A while ago, I bought a new cat tree for Brandy and Whiskey. So far, they haven't ventured as far as the top landing, unless I have put them up there. Over the weekend I heard a thump, looked around and saw this:


followed shortly after by this:



Whiskey was obviously in an adventurous mood over the weekend, because he also decided to try having a nap in the wood basket. Alas, it obviously wasn't very comfortable and he shortly after moved back to the comfort of his racing car basket:


 


2 comments:

  1. Frozen was the word of the day over here in the eastern suburbs as well. It’s been a couple of years since we had such a heavy frost and my car was a big white blob. Rather than scrape I turned the demisters on - then retreated indoors. I can’t reach the windshield, can just reach halfway on the rear one so no point trying the kettle of warm water trick. It took a while but it worked
    A cardboard box was the preferred sleeping place for all the cats we ever had. Unless one used a bed then they all fancied the same one.
    How odd to request underwear for your mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She asked for underwear for Jim as well when she did his cremation. I provided continence knickers for him but we didn't even have those for mother. The care facility provided them and we left them there. But she didn't approve of wearing knickers overnight so it wasn't an issue for us

      Delete