Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, October 25, 2021

Lockdowns Lifting

On Friday, after the state met the 70% of the post-16 population double vaccination target, some of the lockdown restrictions lifted. As far as I can tell, this mostly affected Melbourne. There is still a border between Metropolitan Melbourne and Regional Victoria, although this is due to be lifted this coming Friday when the next target of 80% is expected to be reached. When/if the state gets to 90% of the 12 and over population, then I think pretty much all restrictions will be lifted.

As far as I can tell, not that I have looked closely, the only new restriction that directly affects me is that we can now have up to 10 visitors a day in our houses. Other restrictions that have been partly lifted relate to things that I don't do, such as going to gyms or swimming pools. I didn't take advantage of the lifting of the visitor restrictions over the weekend. I took advantage of the lack of plans to get out into the garden.

I have started weeding the patio. The grass that is growing between the cracks is relatively easy to get out. What I think is wood sorrel is harder. It's quite a pretty plant but it seems to have ambitions for world domination which are impressive considering its smallish size. It gets everywhere and is surprisingly difficult to evict. I have it largely held at bay. For the moment!




I braved Bunnings on Saturday and bought some larger pots for trees and smaller pots for flowers, tomatoes etc. I have filled the larger pots and planted a mandarin and an orange tree. I was going to plant them in the long bed I've put along the front porch but Lindsey pointed out that they might prevent the visitors who are now allowed into the house from accessing the front door! The pots are in front of our bedroom window and are not properly centred. A few days ago I threw a handful of poppy seeds out onto the little stones and one brave plant has emerged.  It is EXACTLY where I wanted to put one of the tree pots. I have decided to leave the poppy to its own devices and to move the tree when it has finished flowering


Eventually the pots will be in front of
the outside cream uprights

I have also planted zucchini, cucumber, melon and pumpkin seeds in the long part of the wooden L and corn seeds in the short bit. Now to sort out the veg beds out the back. They need topping up with soil which involves me moving the car onto the road and then wheelbarrowing soil from the front, through the garage and out along the back path to the veg beds.  I am strangely reluctant to do this!  (But I will) I need to sort those beds out anyway. The celery and warrigal greens (or New Zealand spinach) are getting stalky and leggy and need pulling and sorting out and new ones planted. The yellow beans seem to have disappeared shortly after germinating and I haven't planted the runners yet. The snow peas are producing. Must plant more next year. The broad beans haven't started flowering yet, although the ones up at Hill House are flowering with enthusiasm. And I really, really need to find somewhere to plant the potatoes. The tubs up at Hill House may have to be sorted out and brought into play.

Jim and I paid a visit to his geriatrician on Thursday, who says that things don't seem to have significantly deteriorated since his previous visit. I think that's probably right. After that precipitous drop in capacity mid-year the rate of deterioration has settled to a gentle slide. He has another appointment in six months time. There isn't really anything much that the geriatrician can do so no real point in going more frequently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment