Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, October 31, 2021

A Stormy Friday

The power eventually came back in Mount Helen on Friday at 21:30 or so. The loss of power had affected almost all of Victoria and South Australia and took electricity and emergency workers a long time to sort out. Parts of the states were without power overnight. Ours came back just as we were about to go to bed because we were sat in the dark and cold with nothing much to do. I had made dinner early so I could fry flathead and chips while I could still see to cook. I must acquire a large torch before the next electrical emergency.

Having said that there didn't seem to be much damage in our immediate area (which was true, lots of storm debris but no trees or branches down in our street), my emergency alarm went off all day warning of fallen trees and branches in Ballarat. There were trees down everywhere. The State Emergency Service (which is a volunteer organisation) and locals with chainsaws were out in force clearing roads and footpaths and rescuing houses, sheds and outbuildings.

We spent most of the day up at Hill House with Rupert and Hugo. Ian had lit the fire before he went out so the house was warm.  No television or wireless internet of course but I could use my phone to provide internet to my laptop and tablet. The dogs were as much puzzled by the lack of television as the cats at out place were by the lack of activity in their water fountain. Lindsey and Ian also have a gas stovetop so I could heat our lunch and make cups of tea. We were comfortable, warm, fed and watered.

Stella, in Mount Martha, lives in an all electric house. So no hot water, no hot food and no heating for her. Her next door neighbour eventually found his camping stove and provided hot water for cups of tea for the people in the court. Then Jenny across the road found her little Primus stove and made egg and bacon sandwiches. Stella found a puffer jacket in her wardrobe that she had never worn. So by lunchtime she had a hot drink, a hot sandwich and a warm jacket. Thank goodness for neighbourly neighbours! Her power came back around 2pm.

To add interest to an already dramatic day, for the storm hadn't entirely cleared, there was wind and rain on and off for most of the day and, of course, trees kept tumbling down or losing their branches, Ian sent me a message to say that his Cookalong box had arrived and could I please bring it in to stop the ravens, currawongs and other opportunistic creatures eating it. I was just sorting the box out when Ian rang to say that the delivery man had contacted him to say that he had come off their long driveway towards the bottom and was now stuck in a ditch.

I went down to investigate. His van was very definitely stuck in a ditch towards the bottom of the driveway. He must have been going at a foolhardy speed to have skidded off where he did. I could see the skid marks and he was lucky that he fetched up against a small tree and a raised drain before he reached the brick wall. It's a steep and winding track which needs to be driven with caution - partly because it's a steep and winding track, partly because it's a single car track and it is not unknown to meet another car going in the opposite direction to you, and partly because there are often kangaroos loitering in the way who are not always inclined to move. Even in a big white van you really don't want to hit a large kangaroo, or even a small one.

I'm not sure what the van driver thought I could do to help. I had no intention of pushing the van. My little Ziggy doesn't have the oomph to pull a large van out of a ditch. No, I don't happen to have a tow rope or chain about my person. Yes, I can probably provide some cardboard to put under the wheels. But why haven't you rung your breakdown service to come and haul you out? It seems he hadn't thought about a breakdown service - he didn't think he qualified because he hadn't broken down. In my view, if you are stuck in a ditch and can't move your vehicle you have, to all intents and purposes, broken down. He rang his breakdown service who came about 30 minutes later and rescued him.


A group of locals, watching all the drama from the safety 
of the top paddock.
Not that they offered to help at all :-)

Speaking of opportunistic creatures, I was packing the car yesterday afternoon ready to come down to Mount Martha. I went inside to get some more bags and came back to find a very cheeky raven perched on the edge of the boot trying to steal some green beans from one of my bags. Honestly - you can't trust anyone!

The lockdowns and most covid restrictions have now been lifted in Victoria. We are now free to travel wherever we wish within the state (although not necessarily into other states and not yet overseas). Goodbye lockdown - and welcome back road traffic! The traffic hasn't ever been as light this year as it was during the long lockdown of 2020 but it was back with a vengeance yesterday. This is a de facto long weekend in Victoria. Tuesday is a public holiday and a lot of people have taken Monday off as well. By Friday evening they could travel into the regions and travel into the regions they have.

And Jim and I have travelled too.  We would have come to Mount Martha this weekend anyway as part of the family Carer roster. But now we can come as visitors as well as carers. And Freyja and Simon are coming today for a late lunch when Freyja finishes work.  I have remembered to bring her long overdue birthday present with me. I can finally give it to her!



Clouds over Mount Helen, after the storm


No comments:

Post a Comment