Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Yo Yo - ing Lockdowns

I knew that the lifting of the lockdown wouldn't last long.  I knew that covid had arrived in Ballarat after more than a year away, and that it was making its way secretly, silently around the community. I knew the lockdown would be reinstated.

I hoped it would wait until Friday or, even better, Saturday.

Alas no. It was reinstated at midnight last night.

I had intended to head out to Elaine today. When I was there on Sunday I bought a giant bag of bread flour. Sadly, when I got home I realised that it was rye flour.  I do not care for rye bread at all! I was planning to head out and see if they had big bags of white bread flour. But for now the Elaine farmgate shop is unavailable to me.  As are the mushroom farm and the Delacombe shops. This unfortunately means that the cats' favourite biscuits are also unavailable.  I have enough for now but if the lockdown is extended I'm going to have to get their biscuits at the IGA.  This did not go well the last time I had to do that 😂 You would think that rescue cats would be grateful for whatever they are given. Not Brandy and Whiskey - although I suppose they did come from a household and were not rescued from the street.

It is very tempting to think dark thoughts about people who carelessly bring contagion into the regions. However, I had a video call from my 10 year old granddaughter earlier in the week. She had been tested for covid. The only reason she had been tested was because her 5 year old brother had been exposed to children with covid in his school class and he had to be tested. He wasn't going to be tested if his sister wasn't, so she agreed. It came as a considerable surprise to everyone when she tested positive. She is completely asymptomatic. (He tested negative, ironically enough.) So I suppose it is entirely possible, even likely, that people are moving around in our local community entirely oblivious to their covid status and unwittingly providing transport for it. The Covid Monitors are convinced that there is a Typhoid Mary wandering around Ballarat - if only they could find that person and make them stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment