Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

In Between Lockdowns

Most of country Victoria was released from the Stay At Home orders on Friday. I am not necessarily expecting this to last long. Contagion is pottering around in the regions, but fortunately not rampaging as it is in Melbourne. So not all restrictions have been lifted but we can at least go out for no particular reason. For now, at least.

So we went to Bunnings 😂

It wasn't really a random thing. I had been waiting to be able to go to Bunnings to have a look at solar path lights, particularly for the front porch but also to look at lights for the courtyard. I don't think Bunnings was quite ready for the return of the public. The store wasn't as tidy and orderly as it usually is, and it seems that I was not the only person who had been waiting patiently to be able to visit.

While we were there, I bought this:


It looked a bit lonely on the front lawn on its own so I ordered some more online, ready to collect on Saturday. And now the front lawn looks like this:


And in the evening, it looks like this:


There is one box left.  I am intending to clear up the little bed under the trellis by the back fence and put it there, in the hope that my sweet peas might actually grow this year. First, though, I need to get some more garden soil from the Buninyong Farm and Garden Supplies place. I was going to buy a yuzu tree for the short part of the L but I see that yuzu trees are blessed with vicious thorns, ready to demolish innocent passers by. This doesn't seem entirely desirable by the entrance to our house. I might buy a mandarin tree instead.

We went out to the Inglenook Dairy on Saturday morning. They don't usually sell at the farmgate but opened up early in the most recent lockdown to help move excess stock that had been intended for the hospitality sector. They shifted all of that and decided to open on Saturday morning. I usually buy their milk, yoghurt, cream and butter so, en route to the mushroom farm and to Bunnings to pick up my new garden planters, we drove out to have a look and to stock up.  I have to say that their farm is in a really lovely spot, about half way between Warrenheip and Dunnstown. A pleasant Saturday morning drive, which Jim enjoyed as a change from sitting at home and watching the TV. The sausage sizzle was back at Bunnings and placed right next to the parking for the click and collect. We might have been mugged by sausage sandwiches for morning tea!

They are making steady progress on the construction site. So much so that activity has reduced significantly. There are roads and footpaths in place now, ready, I assume, for the houses to come.






The street lights aren't working yet, but the street lights in our court have had new light globes put in, including the one at the bottom of our drive which hasn't worked since we moved in. It's all much brighter at night in our street.

Harking back to the Hero of Zero wine, Freyja says that she has been drinking it for a long time and that its heroing of preservative free wines  considerably predates the interest in non-alcoholic wine which arose during the early days of the pandemic. But you can see why I might have thought it was alcohol free:

I have pointed out that this is
just slightly misleading!

I must remember to look the next time I am in there to see if they have put the actual non-alcoholic wine under the sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment