Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Dementia Friendly Forest and Sensory Trail

A week or so ago the Ballarat Council sent a magazine intended for older residents. We are certainly registered with the council as older residents which, I assume, is why it was sent to us. It wasn't posted to us individually, though. It was addressed To The Householder. No matter. It arrived and I read it. I wonder how many more years it will be before services for older people stop assuming that they are computer illiterate, or that they struggle with digital technology. I am nearly 66 and there have been computers of one sort or another in my life since I was a teenager at least (my father was an enthusiastic user of technology and happily engaged in technological advances as they came along and encouraged his children to do likewise).

Anyway. In amongst all the Staying Safe stuff there was a little article about a new Dementia Friendly Forest and Sensory Trail in the Woowookarung Regional Park, which is a large area of forest around the edge of our bit of Ballarat. I drive through it sometimes and assumed there were walking tracks but have never stopped to explore. The sensory trail sounded interesting and as though it might be worth a look.

It was a public holiday in Ballarat yesterday. The morning was cool and damp but the afternoon cleared to be almost sunny. So I abandoned Jim, Brandy and Whiskey and went to see what was there. I only walked the first half, the wheelchair friendly part. I'll do the rest of it another time. Not that I had a wheelchair with me but I wanted to call at the IGA on my way home and didn't want to be away too long.

It is a lovely little trail:



I walked this trail

But didn't go as far as this one.
Next time!

The trail isn't finished. They're putting in boardwalks and a few other things. I do like a good boardwalk!

The starting point

The trail is well signposted
Things to see along the way:




A very friendly dog that I met along the trail.
His name is Jasper and he was having a really lovely afternoon





The trail is obviously quite popular even though it was only opened about six weeks ago. There were Jasper and his human, plus a number of groups with small children and other dogs.  There were older adults and even some young men . Enough people so that I didn't feel as though I was out in the forest all on my own, but not so many that it felt crowded.

I went back to Mount Clear along one of the forest tracks. I had intended to stay on Katy Ryan Road but ended up turning onto Dozed Track by accident. It took careful driving, for it is a track and Ziggy is but a little car, but it was a lovely drive.  At one point a kelpie came trotting round a bend, with a ute driving slowly along behind it. I pulled off the track and let them go by. The kelpie was very excited to see my car. The driver of the ute seemed a bit surprised!

I kind of feel as though I have had a run of three Saturdays.  I'm not sure why. Thursday had a distinct Saturday feel to it, even though I did Thursday things. Yesterday had a distinct Saturday feel to it.  And now it actually is Saturday, and I am intending to do Saturday things. The market is back at Zoo Drive today and the Mushroom Farm is calling.  It's a bit early yet, though.  It's not quite 07:00

No comments:

Post a Comment