Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Peaceful and Quiet

Another gentle, mostly domestic weekend.

We were at our place over the weekend. We went to Bunnings and bought stakes for the beans and a garden kneeler for me.  Jim mowed the lawns and I weeded part of the front garden. I potted some little seedlings - and perhaps a bit optimistically planted out the runner bean seedlings.  It is supposed to be quite warm this week but the danger of frost isn't really yet past.  Cross your fingers!

I also moved into the kitchen and made some casseroles and stews for the freezer, and a fruity tea loaf.  It has to be good for you. It is absolutely packed with fruit!

We went up to Hill House on Monday. Jim has begun digging over the vegetable beds up there, ready for the seedlings which I hope will soon be on their way.  I've planted tomato, zucchini, pumpkin, watermelon and various other seeds but they are reluctant to germinate.  I suspect it's a bit cold.  They are in the house but we don't have the heating on when we are not there and I think the average temperature isn't quite warm enough.  I have more seeds to plant.  I must remember to do that this weekend.

Rupert and Hugo enjoyed the sunshine and warmer temperatures - and the new squeaky toys we found in Bunnings





The mint on the windowsill at our place was growing well and enjoying the company of my dinosaurs.



I cut it right back on Monday to make tabouleh.  I was prompted to make tabouleh after I  pruned the parsley to stop it flowering and then had quite a lot of parsley to use up. I also had some tomatoes that were beginning to look a bit sorry for themselves and some left over spring onions.  I didn't have cracked wheat but I did have pearl barley so I used that instead.  It's quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment