Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, October 15, 2018

Mostly temples

We know there was a temple or a shrine at the top of our road.  We could see the signpost on the main road, plus the torii gate.  So we went up to see what was there

Lots of people were making their way up there, some in kimonos, some in suits, some quite casually dressed.

As we went up the hill we found a park with a temple and shrines. It was very beautiful and very peaceful.









An excellent way of spending Sunday morning. Peaceful, quiet, beautiful.

Further up the hill is a large temple complex, which you pay 500 yen to access.



I very much preferred the first one, which was free to enter :-)

We walked into Kyoto to visit the Kiyomizu-dera temple. I have been there before, on my very first visit to Japan. Austin, Jim and I had a day trip to Kyoto and went to the temple.  Yesterday Lindsey, Sandy and I went through the mausoleum to enter it.  It was all VERY busy!






Right.  That's enough temples for today.  We had lunch in a little place that we happened upon on our way to a shopping arcade.  I had already had a steamed bun and a cheesy squid thing on a stick so wasn't really hungry.  I had an apple pie. It was absolutely lovely.  Huge chunks of cinnamony apple in a not too sweet pastry.  And what was effectively a mango slushy to drink.  Got to be healthy, right?  Two lots of fruit!

We found the shopping arcade and had a potter in that. Then we took the train back to our local station. Got supplies from the little supermarket for tea and came back to our little house for the evening.

My fitbit says that I walked not quite 21000 steps yesterday, covering a little over 13 km and 53 storeys.  I slept very well last night.  It's no wonder!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment