Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Mixed bean goulash (mostly for Freyja but everyone else can use it too!)

I ran across this recipe for mixed bean goulash somewhere online.  I do follow Jack Monroe's blog but I think I ran across the recipe on Twitter.  Anyway, it doesn't really matter where I found it.  I made it today for whatever you call a main meal that you have in the middle of the afternoon.

I didn't have any kidney beans, but I did have a tin of cannelini beans and a tin of borlotti beans.  I also had multiple tins of baked beans but it seems incredibly wasteful to me to open one and then wash all the sauce off just so you can use the beans in an unadulterated state.  I didn't have any vegetable stock and I wanted to keep it suitable for vegetarians so I used an extra scoop of vegemite (no marmite in this house).  I also had some tomato paste that needed using up so I chucked that in as well.  And I used a mixture of sweet and hot paprika.  I have to say it was very, very tasty.


It would have been suitable for any passing vegan


.
- until i put some natural yoghurt on the top! We had ours with pasta and mushrooms on the side. And there's more for later

No comments:

Post a Comment