Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, May 27, 2013

Ice Age

Way back at the beginning of February I heard a discussion on the Today Program about a new exhibition which had just opened in the British Museum.  It was an exhibition of Ice Age art and artefacts and it sounded extremely interesting.  So I bought tickets to it tying it to the Spring Bank Holiday weekend at the end of May.

And now here it is. The end of May. The Builder and I went down to London on Saturday morning and met up with Freyja and Simon. And we all went to see the exhibition.  And it was absolutely lovely. Tiny, tiny carvings of horses and bison and fish. Tiny, tiny representations of people, mostly women. It was all absolutely beautiful and quite exquisite.  They also had some modern art there to contrast with the Ice Age material - but I have to admit that I didn't pay much attention to that.  Why would you look at a Henry Moore when you could look at this:

Photo taken by Simon
I would say that you should all go and see the exhibition - except that it closes this coming weekend. And I don't know if they have plans to take it touring.  But if they do and if it comes anywhere near to you then you really should take the opportunity to go and see it.

After the exhibition we headed off to the Japan Centre, via a rather strange pub. It reminded me quite strongly of a dated public convenience in its decor and decoration.

In the pub with Freyja, Simon and Freyja's new Woolly Mammoth Oleg Ugh
We had a really delicious dinner in the Japanese Restaurant next to the Japan Centre, then Freyja and Simon went back to Freyja's place and The Builder and I went back to the Premier Inn in Beckton.

All in all, a good start to the long weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment