Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, May 13, 2013

A short week at work

I had been looking at my time sheet a week or so ago, and noted that my hours were quite ridiculously high for this month.  Then I looked at my diary - and noted that there was nothing in it for this coming Friday. So I booked a flexiday off.

Last Monday was a public holiday.

Friday was a holiday Just For Me.

That meant I had to be at work for a mere three days during the week! (Could get quite used to that!!!).

It turned out, however, that we couldn't really do anything very much with the day off.

On the Holiday Monday, which was strangely warm and sunny to say that it was a national holiday, I had been rash enough to turn the central heating off. Rather to our surprise, this had the effect of depriving us of hot water. I turned the heating back on again, but with the radiators turned down. This meant that we had, if not hot, at least warm water. This all seemed very odd, so to test it I turned the heating off again.  No hot water :-S  Heating back on and I booked a service call for our boiler.  One was due anyway.

A bloke came on Thursday to look at it and declared that our boiler had a Perished Diaphragm.  Poor boiler.  A perished diaphragm can't be very pleasant.  Alas, the Service Bloke couldn't fix it. He didn't have the bits. So he booked a repair visit for sometime on Friday afternoon.  We, therefore, had to stay in.

And actually, that wasn't too frustrating.  The weather was a bit gloomier, a bit cooler, a bit wetter than the previous weekend so we weren't bursting to get out and about. And there were plenty of things to do at home. I decided that we really needed pies and chips for lunch and, not living somewhere where you can readily acquire acceptable takeaway pies, like Melbourne, I set about making some beef and mushroom pies while we were waiting for the boiler man to come. I had some home made chips in the freezer. Pie and chips it was.  We ducked out to Chatsworth to the garden centre and to the farm shop on Saturday. We actually got into the garden on Sunday (!!) and I made a start on rescuing the beds in the centre of the flower garden.  We had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for lunch on Sunday. It was a lovely, relaxing, quiet (long) weekend.  I could learn to like them :-D

And we have hot water again. The boiler is much, much happier.  It is also, I notice, quite a lot quieter than it's been for a long time. It's been a rattly boiler for years but no service engineer has been particularly worried about that.  I wonder if it had been suffering from an undiagnosed, slowly perishing diaphragm pretty much since we moved in.

Back to work today. I have to work a whole five days this week :-S  That will come as a bit of a shock to the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment