Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Weekend plans

The plan was: a nice quiet, domestic weekend; some shopping for foodie supplies; some cleaning, tidying and organising.

And right up at the very top of the list was to Clean The Fridge!!  Freyja was up in Sheffield for the weekend for a "friendly" roller derby bout between her new London team and her old Sheffield team. Invitation only to spectators. She was somewhat stunned when I said I couldn't possibly go because I simply, positively, absolutely HAD to clean the fridge.  If the Health Inspectors had seen it, they would have closed the kitchen down.  Lindsey tells me that she has over-75 year olds doing snap inspections of random people's fridges - or is that people doing random tests of over-75 year olds' fridges? Whichever. Our fridge would never survive a snap inspection from anyone.  Cleaning it had to be right at the very top of the agenda.  After the shopping, of course.

So on Sunday I sallied forth and did some washing and hung that out on the line and did some ironing and brought the dry washing in again. I changed the bed linen and tidied up the bedroom and put a load of washing away. I cleaned the loo and the bathroom sink and the shower. I made some cupcakes and stewed some rhubarb. I made a loaf of bread. I washed a load of dishes and organised some pork for roasting for later. I put spoonfuls of the stewed rhubarb inside my cooled cupcakes and iced them with custard icing. I roasted some potatoes to go with the roast pork and made an apple and fennel gravy. We ate the roast pork and it accompaniments and drank white wine. The Builder also drank beer.  There appears to be some kind of sporting tournament happening in Europe where people in shorts chase around after a spotty ball which is trying to escape their attentions. He was watching that on the television

I did not clean the fridge :-S  (And I still haven't cleaned the fridge.  It's gone Right To The VERYTOP of the things to do this coming weekend!!!

We did have quite a nice time on Saturday pottering about the shops though. We went to the mill in Rowsley for some flour and to the Chatsworth Farm Shop for some meat, and to the Chatsworth Garden Centre for some plants and to the dairy for some milk and bread and even to the supermarket for some wine. And we drove back from Chatsworth to the dairy along country roads we hadn't been along before which was fun (and rather pretty).

But I do so hope there are no snap inspections of the kitchen in the next few days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment