Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, June 08, 2012

Planting

Despite the torrential rain and the wind and the autumnal temperatures over the weekend, we did manage to get into the garden and up onto the allotment to do a bit of planting.  We've planted on Black Russian, one Yellow Zebra, one Brandywine and three Moneymaker tomato seedlings in Greenhouse #1 (I hope the Black Russian survives, cos I dropped it as I was planting it and definitely bent its stalk :-S ) and two butternut squashes and two cucumbers in Greenhouse #2.  The Under Gardener has also planted out a small Jostaberry plant that I took as a cutting from the one we planted 18 months ago. The branch has snapped so I trimmed it up and planted it in a pot and brought it home - and there it has thrived.  I hope it also thrives on the allotment!

Back in the kitchen garden we planted 45 sweetcorn seedlings in the first bed by the grape vine, and ten more in the next bed.  In the third bed we planted a third cucumber, three zucchini and a third butternut squash seedlings.  We have also potted on the tomato seedlings which finally germinated a couple of weeks ago and some sprouting broccoli and cabbage seedlings. We also now have watermelon and sweet melon seedlings almost but not quite ready for planting out.  The pumpkin seeds have still not germinated and I have given up on them. The French beans have not germinated well. I only have three seedlings, one of which seems to be struggling.

But I really think that that might be enough wind, rain and autumnal weather.  A spot of summer sunshine would be nice now!



No comments:

Post a Comment