Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, October 24, 2022

Weekend Shenanigans

I went down to Mount Martha on Friday, in Lindsey's old car, to bring back as much stuff as I could fit in it from the "keep" side of the garage. The charity people had been there on Tuesday to take some of the furniture away. There is, alas, still quite a bit left. There's still quite a bit of junk left in the garage. There isn't a lot left to bring back to Ballarat - a bird bath that I couldn't lift on my own, a walker that doesn't fold down and a mobility scooter. There's also a fridge/freezer that's supposed to be going to the surgery. Everything else has to be disposed of by one means or another.

If you want anything, you have until Sunday to put your hand up!









I wasn't there long - perhaps 40 minutes - and came back via Tully's, where I got lots of delicious vegetables, some meats and treats and various bits and pieces. There aren't many more opportunities to go to Tully's and I decided to take full advantage of this one.

Saturday was the fourth anniversary of Tony's death. Stella, Lindsey and I went to the Boatshed for lunch, as a celebration of his life. We had the seafood platter, with an extra bowl of chips. We didn't need the extra bowl of chips!

When we moved Stella's bear cabinet from Mount Martha to Mount Clear we somehow managed to misplace a WWI army nurse. Stella noticed immediately that it hadn't come with the rest of the bears. We assume the nurse bear was accidentally put into a charity box but by the time we took the bears to her place the boxes of stuff to go to charity had already gone. So I went trawling around the internet for a replacement and found one on Gumtree. I hadn't used Gumtree before and was a bit dubious, but Stella and I decided to give it a go. She turned up in good time and we gave her to Stella at the Boatshed.

She is a very formidable looking army nurse. You wouldn't have wanted to play up on her ward!

Sister Bernadette with Nurse (Ret) Stella

Lindsey and I called in to see Jim after we took Stella back to her room. He was pleased to see us, but definitely wanted to come away with us. We don't take him out all that often, and increasingly only to Hill House. It was a bit too late in the afternoon to take him out on Saturday, so Lindsey and I decided we would take him to Hill House for lunch on Sunday. I had bought a pork fillet at Tully's, along with cocktail potatoes and lots and lots of vegetables. We had enough for a Sunday lunch for three. 

Lindsey said she needed to go to the supermarket on Sunday morning. Did I want to come?

I did. We bought, amongst other things, some puff pastry so I could make a pork Wellington. I picked up some chocolate lava cakes and raspberries for dessert. We decided we actually had enough for a proper Sunday lunch for four and rang Stella to see if she fancied joining us. She did! We took the shopping back to Lindsey's place. I prepped the Wellington and made a mushroom and onion gravy. I had already prepped the veg, after I got back from Tully's.

I went to pick up Stella, and then we went to get Jim - and found him still in bed, in his pyjamas, watching TV. At almost 11:30!! He had absolutely refused to get up when the carers had gone in to get him dressed and give him his breakfast. To be fair, he didn't know we were planning to take him out to lunch, but even so! Such laziness :D 

One of the carers came in to get him up. Another was already cleaning his room, mopping the bathroom and clearing and tidying. He had had breakfast and then tea and cake. I want to live somewhere where all these things happen around me!!

We had a lovely lunch and a good afternoon. It was a good weekend with lots of delicious food and a fair bit of fun.

Lindsey's photos of our impromptu Sunday lunch:





No comments:

Post a Comment