Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, October 07, 2022

Trams

For the first time since the beginning of 2020 I have been on a tram. And not just one tram. Two trams!

I haven't had any reason to use public transport since then, apart from a train or two and a bus in the UK. First there were the lockdowns and the travel restrictions. During the worst of the pandemic it seemed more sensible to use the car than to risk using public transport. Since then, I haven't been anywhere that I needed trains, trams or buses.

Until Wednesday.

I drove to the flat after work and then took a tram into town, then a tram out to Coburg. I might have accidentally got on a wrong tram when I got into the city, but I realised immediately and got off at the next stop and caught the right tram. Fortunately, my Myki (think Oyster card if in the UK) card is still active and has plenty of money on it. I transferred the balance of Jim's Myki card when it became clear that he wasn't going to use it again, plus I had topped mine up before I went to the UK.

I think, even so, it might have been surprised to be disturbed from its slumber in my wallet! It had been a Sleeping Beauty Myki 😂

Sandy, who we went to Japan with in 2018, was in town  from Perth for a few days. We met her in a Turkish cafe in Coburg for a catch up and a nice meal. It was a plain and simple cafe with a plain and simple menu. The food was delicious. Sandy and her family used to go there regularly when they lived in Melbourne, so it was a trip down memory lane for her. I know we were there quite early, and it was a Wednesday night, but I hope they are busier over the weekends. It was very quiet when we were there. Mind you, they have a lovely website and they are open until late so I assume they are doing alright.

Lindsey and I stayed in the flat overnight. She went to an accreditation on Thursday morning and I came back to Ballarat. I dropped by Rupert and Hugo's place, called at my place, visited Stella, went back to Rupert and Hugo's place and eventually returned home for the evening.

My morning view on Thursday:





No comments:

Post a Comment