Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, February 11, 2022

You find us this morning up at Rupert and Hugo's house. After a run of warm, sunny days, today is cool, grey and windy. I'm kind of hoping it will rain. My vegetable beds could do with some good rain and my herb pots are rather dry. If we don't get any rain, I'll have to give them a good soaking this evening.

I've spent the past two Sundays helping out at the surgery vaccination clinics.  I do enjoy working the clinics on Sundays.  The phones are turned off, there's no doctor consulting, we don't do any actual reception work. All we do is the vaccinations and they run nice and smoothly. Or at least the last two Sundays have.

Stella's birthday was at the beginning of February. She turned 88. Not bad for someone whose parents were told when she was born that she wouldn't live much beyond a week or two. She's definitely proved those doctors wrong!

I bought a new archway for our front garden. It didn't take me long to assemble it - although long enough that I forgot the bamboo steamer and its cargo of vegetables until I went back inside. The kitchen was very smokey and the steamer and vegetables were beyond redemption. Fortunately, the new Asian supermarket at Summerhill has lots of bamboo steamers. The archway is presently lying on the rosemary and curry bushes. I don't have anything to fix it to and even a slight puff of wind will blow it over. I can feel a trip to Bunnings coming on!

It should look ok when it's been levelled
and fixed to something

While I was about it, I bought a flexible fence. My intention was to put it by the front porch when the cats come out the front with me to stop them wandering off. On Tuesday evening I put it across the front door when the wind cooled so I could have a through draft.

This should keep the cats inside

Brandy fits perfectly underneath it

So I put it outside.
This meant that Brandy no longer fitted underneath it.
So Whiskey just knocked it over!!
 
I could, of course, buy a fly screen door and eventually I will do. In the meantime I put a couple of boxes in the way so the cats couldn't reach the little fence.  I'm not sure it's going to do what I want it to do though. Great Danes don't go around knocking over small fences, though they certainly could if they were minded. I certainly wasn't expecting Whiskey to. I shall have to have a ponder.

Thwarted in their wish to go and explore out the front, they went out the back for a snooze in the evening sunshine 



They were less impressed when I opened the back door this morning. I'm not sure how they will cope when autumn and winter trundle along. They have enjoyed the pleasant summer days we have had this year


Early Monday morning from our front porch

Apart from all that, nothing much has happened so far this month. So far, so nice and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment