Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, February 19, 2022

Potatoes

One of the nice things about having potatoes growing right outside the front door is that I can potter out when I want potatoes and just pull up a few, enough for that evening. I know they are not properly ready yet but they are Dutch Cream and probably won't get very much bigger even if I do leave them for another few weeks or so. 

This morning I dug up some more to take with us to Mount Martha this afternoon. I also pulled a couple of corn cobs. My corn hedge is starting to be productive. We had this with our dinner yesterday:

And very tasty it was too

It was Hugo's fifth birthday yesterday. He has never been a puppy-ish dog, unlike Rupert who remains as puppy-ish as his rubbish hips allow him to be. However, this last week Hugo has shown every one of his five years. He hasn't been able to jump on and off beds or couches. He has lolloped after balls and toys when they are thrown rather than galloping. You couldn't say he has been unhappy or obviously showing pain - his tail has been wagging and his appetite has been undiminished. But he has been a bit subdued. Until yesterday afternoon when he positively galloped to the fence line to chase away some kangaroos which, in his opinion, were too close to his garden.  He and Rupert chased each other up and down the back yard and jumped on each other and almost knocked Jim flying. He even got on and off Lindsey's bed, cautiously it is true. I wonder if he had knocked his hips on something earlier in the week. He almost took out a set of shelves in the backyard yesterday afternoon after a particularly vigorous leap on Rupert


Birthday boy with a Christmas toy.
He does have a birthday toy which is
pleasingly squeaky

I had every good intention of changing the bed linen yesterday morning before heading off to play with Rupert and Hugo. 





Obviously, you can't disturb a sleeping cat. So I went and opened the patio doors, which made both cats arise from their sleeping places and go outside. I managed to sort the bed out undisturbed 😆

2 comments:

  1. It is never worth disturbing a sleeping cat. They have ways of getting revenge. I hope Hugo is okay. Please pass on gentle scritches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugo seems to be much improved. We think he twinged his back and then kept on being cautious, particularly getting on and off beds and couches, even after it got better. I assume it's better. He's galloping up and down the hallway chasing his birthday squeaky toy!

      Delete