Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, February 26, 2022

Oh Bother ...

 ... was not what I said yesterday as the bottom fell off the blender I had just used to blend the corn, chicken and chicken stock which I had been simmering to use as the base of a chowder style soup. It was not what I said as the contents of the blender disported themselves all over the base unit of my food processor and thence onto the kitchen bench, down the cupboard doors and onto the floor. It was also not what I said when, on further inspection (after all, bottoms don't usually fall off blender jugs) I decided that the blender blades might have been designed to unscrew and to screw back on. I hadn't ever looked at the bottom of the blender. I have had no reason to.

I cleared up the bench, cupboard doors and the floor. I decided that trying to clean the base unit of the food processor was a task too far and put it on my pile of things to go to the electrical recycling place, if I ever get around to going there. I have bought a new food processor, which doesn't have the juicer attachment but which does have other attachments that the original processor didn't have. I didn't use the juicer all that often. If I decide that I do after all miss it, I will look into buying a stand alone juicer.

While out and about on Thursday afternoon with Lindsey, we called in to Kmart. Lindsey was looking for some dog toys. Kmart is short of dog toy stock at the moment. It is also more or less out of pet beds, but it did have some bright red racing cars reduced from $20 to $7. For $7 I was willing to buy one for Brandy and Whiskey. Now you may remember their deep, deep suspicion when I brought a boat bed home with me last autumn. I expected them to be similarly suspicious of a bright red racing car. But no!


Oh look, says Whiskey. A nice new car.
I will take it for a drive.

I think, says Brandy, that you will find it's
MY shiny new car.
I will be a racing car driver

I think he will be as successful a racing car driver
as he was as a pirate cat!

It's been a busy sort of week. We were at Mount Martha last weekend, which was quite restful in its way. We were at Rupert and Hugo's place overnight on Monday which was strikingly unrestful. Not for any particular reason other than that I didn't sleep very well, which disturbed Rupert and Hugo, and even disturbed Jim (which is hard to do!) My Fitbit says I got about one and a half hour asleep.  I think it was a bit more than that but not a lot. This did have the advantage that I slept remarkably well on Tuesday night but it was a struggle to stay awake during the day.

We haven't had much rain recently (it would be helpful if the Weather Dogs could divert a small amount from NSW and Queensland; not too much you understand. I don't want my garden to be washed away) but the garden is being reasonably productive. Last night we had zucchini, corn, runner beans, yellow beans, carrots and potatoes all from the garden with our dinner. We have nearly finished the carrots but there is more of everything else coming along.

So. I have a brand new, all singing all dancing, unused food processor in the cupboard. I do feel that I need to take a degree course in rocket engineering to be able to use it to its full potential, but I should be able to use the dough hook, the cake mixer and the blender without much instruction. The question is - what shall I make first? After, that is, I have put a beef and tomato stew in the slow cooker and sorted out the box of cooking tomatoes that I bought yesterday while I was out collecting the new processor.



Kosy Kats!


2 comments:

  1. Your kitties are gorgeous! Have fun with the new gadget - some of them need a black belt in science to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather cute, aren't they. We got them from the local animal shelter not quite 18 months ago. They came from the same household and we think they are brothers. The big fat one is about 12 months younger than the little scrawny one! I have successfully used the new blender jug. I am yet to try anything more adventurous with my new kitchen gadget :-D

      Delete