Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

The Birthday Strikes Back

My usual practice is to let Christmas into the house on the weekend after my birthday. This can be a bit problematic if my birthday falls on a weekend but generally I get the Christmas decorations out on the Saturday or occasionally the Sunday after.

My birthday was last Tuesday so on Saturday I Decked the Halls, as it were.






On Sunday, my birthday struck back!

Freyja and Simon were in town over the weekend, looking after Rupert and Hugo while Lindsey and Ian were in Sydney. We had arranged to go out for lunch on Sunday. When Freyja asked what I would like for my birthday I asked for an apron and a bunch of flowers. My aprons are mostly more than 5 years old and are beginning to look a bit tatty. I've bought a couple of new ones but you can't have too many nice aprons. And flowers are always a pleasure.

Freyja and Simon turned up with an enormous bouquet of native blooms, a magnificent "presentation" apron (one which you would wear after your guests have arrived and well after all the messy kitchen stuff has been finished), a lily plant in a pot and some spice rubs from the native spice shop in Buninyong, birthday gifts from all my children, in laws and grandies. The bouquet was so enormous that the only container I have that it would fit in is my large Christmas jug, which the silver and blue Christmas sticks were in. And so my birthday struck back.  It wasn't finished yet! The flowers moved into the Christmas jug and the sticks moved into a different jug and moved from the lounge room side table to the wood fire in the dining room



It's just as well that the flowers turned up after I had got the Christmas jug out of the cupboard, otherwise I wouldn't have remembered it and would have struggled to find anything for the flowers to sit in. I might even have gone out yesterday and bought a new jug!

Then we went out for my birthday lunch. Freyja had found a number of options for me to choose from and I had selected the Summerfield Winery out past Avoca. I had chosen it because it serves pizza on Sundays and my birthday pizza plans had been thwarted when the local pizza shop was closed. Plus, it had vegan and vegetarian options, and it had an option that Jim would enjoy. Also, it's a nice drive out that way.

Even nicer, because Simon drove so I could enjoy the view and also enjoy the rather nice wine that they produce. It was a glorious day, the pizzas were magnificent, the location was lovely and the company was genial.  A great birthday treat.









And now my birthday is really done and I can turn my attention properly to Christmas.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

I ordered a two door bookcase online a few days ago. I wasn't expecting it to arrive until sometime after Christmas. To my surprise, it turned up yesterday - in two boxes. My flat pack assembly skills have improved over the past year or so but not so much that I would tackle an oak bookcase. I shall see if I can get a local handy person to come round and put it together for me. Otherwise, Freyja and Simon might have to be deployed on Christmas morning.  Last year a cardboard cat castle, this year an oak bookcase 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment