Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas Morning

 It's 7:00 on Christmas morning. It's cloudy and still this morning, with occasional hints of sunshine. It's not supposed to be as warm or as sunny today as the past couple of days have been. Perhaps I'll be able to wear one of my Christmas jumpers this evening.

I went down to Mount Martha after lunch on Thursday to collect Stella and bring her back to Mount Helen for a few days.  Jim stayed up at Hill House while I was gone.  I couldn't take him with me - by the time you've put three adults and two walkers in the car, there wouldn't be room for anything else.  I'm not sure you would even fit two walkers as well as three adults. Anyway, he was quite happy at Hill House while I was running up and down, and Lindsey made chicken kievs and roast potatoes for dinner.

On Christmas Eve, Lindsey went to work. Ian washed all the sheets at Hill House, ready for tonight, then he went to get his Christmas seafood order.  I went to the mushroom farm to get Lindsey's and my Christmas food orders. Then I went and collected Stella and brought her down to our place for the day.

I had ordered a cook along box of Christmas food which arrived just after 4:00 in the afternoon.  They had emailed me instructions for a stress free Christmas morning, preparing the cook along box for Christmas lunch.  In fact, I wanted it for Christmas Eve.  Lindsey and Ian came down and joined us for dinner. The cook along box was quite fun but I don't know if I'll buy it again. I didn't make all the little salads they suggested and instead used the ingredients to make a big bowl of coleslaw. I added extra green vegetables (including broad beans and tiny zucchini from the garden) to the table. I added prawns to supplement the small lamb shoulder and small rolled turkey that came in the box. They only sent two potatoes which is clearly not enough for even one roast potato aficionado, let alone 5 (the box was intended for 2-3 diners). Stella says that I didn't look at the recipe cards before preparing the food. Not quite true.  I did look at them and I followed their instructions for the lamb and turkey. I just didn't follow their instructions for anything else.

What they sent was all delicious and the flavours were lovely. I just don't think I really needed their input for a Christmas menu. I think I'll stick to their international cuisine offerings in future.


Christmas box, before I unpacked it

Freyja and Simon were supposed to join us for Christmas Eve and then at Hill House tonight.  Alas, Freyja woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat, a headache and a runny nose. This probably wouldn't have prevented her coming in the past. She says she didn't feel so ill that she couldn't have partied. Under the current circumstances, however, it would have been slightly reckless. We don't want our Christmas weekend to become a super spreading event! So she went and had a covid test and they will come to visit when she gets a negative result. Christmas celebrations can be extended over many days.

Jim and I are heading up to Hill House later this morning for brunch, then the rest of the family arrives later this afternoon for the evening celebrations. But before then I shall have a quiet couple of hours pottering around. Until Jim gets up and shatters the peace 😂

Merry Christmas, one and all. I hope you have happy celebrations

No comments:

Post a Comment