Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, December 09, 2021

Bits and Pieces

Jim and I went to a party on Sunday. An actual, real party! In Melbourne. Well, in an eastern suburb of Melbourne. It was all very exciting.

We haven't been to Melbourne for almost two years. We drive past it and even through it, but haven't stopped. We still haven't been into inner Melbourne but a suburb was almost as good.

It was the RMG work party, held at one of the doctors' house. The weather was good enough for us to be outside in the courtyard. There were loads of sandwiches, party pies, chicken wings, munchie things. Jim sat in a chair outside with wine and food and had a better time than I thought he might.  In fact, he knew many of the people who were there. In reality he only remembered Lindsey and me. No worries. I just introduced him to people, who did know him and they told him who they were and how he had met them before.

I didn't have wine. I was driving home. 

One of the nurses took a Lebanese chicken dish and a platter of Lebanese pastries. I took a plate of Christmas star biscuits. 

We all had a good time


 

On Monday a new carer came to meet Jim and me. I decided we needed someone to come on Wednesdays for a couple of hours around lunchtime to keep Jim company and to sort out his lunch. I leave lunch for him but he can't operate the microwave any more so I can't leave food that needs to be heated. And he gets a bit bored when left all on his own for 12 hours or so. She seemed to like us and we liked her, so we organised a carer's agreement.  Jim will be entitled to a My Aged Care package when he gets to the top of the waiting list, so we have to pay for this until his turn comes. But the agency we are using is an approved MAC agency so we should be able to transfer across.

On Tuesday, the Occupational Therapist came to see how we were getting on. She checked the new grab rail by the patio door and went through the My Aged Care paperwork with us. Then she said that she didn't think she needed to come any more and discharged Jim from the council OT service. This was, of course, good, but it was also a bit sad.  We like her.

Tuesday was also my birthday. We were going to have pizza for lunch to celebrate but the Buninyong pizza shop was closed (despite their webpage, Facebook page and Google entry all saying that they would be open!!!) So I went to Mount Clear cafe and bought burgers and chips for a celebration lunch. You might think that that should have been enough to keep us going until breakfast. But no. We were hungry in the evening and had a chicken and asparagus crumble with mash and veg on the side for my birthday dinner.

Birthday Burger with the lot
and chips on the side

I took Wednesday off work, partly for birthday reasons (no point taking Tuesday off; I work from home on Tuesdays and could fit that in around the OT and birthday food) and also because the carer was coming for her first visit. I was at home to let her in and show her around the kitchen. Then I left her and Jim to it and went into town to get new undies for me (mine have all fallen apart due to old age) and hankies for Jim (his all seem to have disappeared. I'm sure they'll turn up eventually but in the meantime he needs more).

I got home just before the carer was due to leave to find that she was feeling a bit guilty because all she had done was chat to Jim, watch TV with him, prepare his lunch and make him a cup of tea.  She didn't want me to think she was being lazy but I hadn't said what else I wanted her to do. In fact, I don't want her to do anything else. I don't need chores or tasks to be done. I just want someone to be with Jim. If there is anything that needs to be done in addition to that, I'll leave a note asking for it but otherwise just to sit and be and make sure he has his lunch and a drink.

Alas, she may not be with us long. They've sold their house much faster than they expected to and will be moving up country in the next couple of months. But we decided that she might as well come until it's no longer convenient for her and I'll readvertise then.

And so to today.

This morning I had my first online Japanese language lesson since September 2018. To be honest, I thought it was in 2019 but I can't find a trace on any lessons beyond 2018. From time to time they have sent offers for three introductory lessons to tempt me back. I haven't taken them up for a number of reasons - and in the past 2 years mostly because it seemed that my opportunity to use the language was remote. It may still be remote, but I am hopeful that the border between Japan and Australia might actually reopen in my lifetime. So when they sent an offer of three lessons for 5 USD I signed up.

I enjoyed the chance to speak (halting) Japanese this morning and have signed up for more lessons beyond  the taster three. I was the only student this morning so it was a  1 on 1 lesson by default. I've booked the remainder two classes this weekend. I need to set an alert - I only remembered this morning's 8:00 class at 07:15 when I was still in my dressing gown and had Things to Do! The 08:00 classes suit me, as long as the district nurse doesn't come early if it is their day. Fortunately today she didn't come until after 10.

And now you find us at Rupert and Hugo's place. The weather today has been cold, wet and windy (to the surprise of my Japanese teacher this morning!) We had 20.5 ml in my rain gauge when I read it at 09:00 and my tomato plants are shivering. I opened the back door this morning for Brandy and Whiskey.  Brandy looked at me as though I had taken leave of my senses.  Whiskey did go out, then turned round and ran back inside post haste.  Even so, he was quite wet and was surprised when I dried him with a towel 😂


Me at a party :D 



No comments:

Post a Comment