Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, June 15, 2019

On Wednesday I opened up at the surgery because I was leaving at lunchtime and it seemed fairer that I start early and my colleague, who would stay until close, would start a bit later.

It was a nice, quiet morning. Nothing exciting happened.

At lunchtime I hopped in the car and drove back to the flat, where I left the car and then made my way to St Vincent's hospital.

I have noticed over the past months that the little finger on my left hand, which has never been properly straight since the operation 18months ago, was getting even less straight and the scar was beginning to thicken and to hurt at bit. So I had been referred back to the hospital for a check.

The surgeon didn't think that more surgery was the way to go. This was good.  Neither did I.  I was rather hoping for a referral back to the hand therapist.  I hadn't had my final session with her and so didn't really have any exercises to do. The ones I had been doing weren't necessarily what was needed long term.  He thinks a night splint and some exercises. I am now awaiting an appointment with the hand therapist.

While I was walking back to the flat I contacted Stella to let her know what had been happening, only to discover that she had lost her balance while getting something from the bottom of the fridge and tumbled over.  Once she gets on the floor, she can't get up again.  Fortunately , she was wearing her emergency pendant and, by the time I rang, she had someone from the community reception with her, plus Jenny across the road. An ambulance came, got her up, dusted her off and took her to the hospital for a check over.

Lindsey rescued her on Thursday morning.

In the meantime, on Wednesday I had noticed that my left ear was feeling blocked and  I couldn't hear very well.  This was a bit disconcerting because it was the wrong ear.  My left ear never troubles me.  My right ear, yes; left ear, no.  By Thursday, my left ear was starting to hurt.  By the time I drove down to work on Friday it was very definitely hurting. So much so that I booked myself in to see one of the doctors.

Usually I see one of the registrars. On this occasion my registrar was fully booked.  I booked myself in with one of the partners who happened to have a free appointment a few minutes after I arrived.  He was a bit surprised, I think.  What had gone so wrong that I would book an immediate appointment???  He looked in my ear and declared it to be HORRIBLE!  (I knew that - I could feel it 😀 )  I have ear drops and antibiotics. This morning it is still blocked but at least it doesn't hurt (much) any more

In other news, if you are planning to come and visit us, don't plan to come in March 2020.  We expect to be in the UK in March 2020.  I bought flights on a whim on Thursday evening

No comments:

Post a Comment