Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, June 04, 2019

Missing - Cooking Mojo

I seem to have misplaced my cooking mojo.

On Sunday we had people round for lunch.  Freyja came.  Simon was expected but wasn't feeling well - and was starting a new job yesterday so didn't come.  Lindsey and Ian came.  Pat came.  Julia and Travis came.  Not the children.  They were with their mother.

So I had to plan for: one vegan, one vegetarian (MIA), one person who eats very little meat and a bunch of omnivores.

Ordinarily, I would have had a menu planned well in advance.  I was planning a winter (indoor) picnic.  I had roast potatoes on the menu. And that was pretty much it.

I consulted books about picnics.  Books about barbecuing.  Books about eating outside.  Nothing engaged me. I consulted friends and colleagues.  None of their excellent suggestions excited me. I drafted a broad menu and went shopping for ingredients. But even on Sunday morning, there wasn't a proper menu planned.

Even so, food appeared. Roast potatoes, of course. Roast pumpkin salad.  Green vegetable salad. Sausages. Southern style fried chicken.  Pat brought a Thai style soup. Julia and Travis brought a roasted cauliflower and some potato and pea fritters.  Lindsey bought sticks and dips.  The table was fully laden with a magnificent feast - lots of it suitable for vegans. Nobody went hungry.

Ian says I had reverted to Junk Food Project behaviour.  What have I got? What can I do with it? There is much merit to this type of menu planning.  But I would be glad to have my food mojo back. Now I come to think about it, it's been missing for a while.  If you happen to see it anywhere ...

Hungry visitors:




Fortunately we have food:



Today is Tuesday. It is early in the morning. I am in Mount Helen.  Shortly I will get dressed and head to Reservoir, ready for work.  Yesterday was Monday. And for the first time in two months, I was not at work. I have, of course, been glad of the extra money. But I was getting tired. I like working three days a week. Four days was beginning to get a bit much, plus it meant that Jim was being left on his own for three days in a row rather than two. I think we both rather enjoyed our leisurely Monday yesterday.  We pottered at home in the morning. We came up to Hill House after lunch and pottered there. We had a leisurely evening and slept well last night. We should have more of this sort of Monday :-)

But  now I really must get organised, or it will be 9:00 and I will still be sitting around in my dressing gown when I should be at work, two hours away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment