Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, February 14, 2019

So where are we?

Well, Jim and Lindsey are at Mount Helen. Ian, I think, is up country somewhere. And I am in Mount Martha at Stella's place.

We finally managed to spring her from the hospital yesterday afternoon. No respite, no rehab, lite or otherwise.  Lindsey, Wendy and I had taken her to the hospital cafe while we were there (in the wheelchair, but at least it got her out of her room). She had started taking little walks with the walker. The physio said she was doing OK. Her cardiologist said that, as far as he was concerned, she could go home. Her haemoglobin levels were back to normal, likewise her blood pressure. The geriatrician eventually said that he thought she would be OK at home. So, before anyone changed their mind, I came down and took her away.


Finally at home, with the newspaper and a nice cup of tea
I think an OT is coming to do a home assessment at some point, and the morning carer has been re-instated.  I stayed last night and Wendy will be here tonight.  Lindsey will be here over the weekend and I think Matthew and family are coming on Sunday. By then she should be settled enough to cope with the usual routines.

But definitely no more angiograms!!!!!!!

In other news, it looks as though Jim's visa application is inching its way up the queue.  He had an email asking for further information.  They wanted a Federal Police check, which we've applied for and which is apparently on its way. They wanted a health assessment, which we did on Monday. They wanted a completed Form 80, which I had desperately hoped we wouldn't have to fill in.  It's a horrible form with lots of duplication, and many questions replicate what was on the original application form. Anyway, that's done and scanned in. We're waiting for the results of the health assessment to be made available and for the police certificate to arrive. Then we wait and see what else they want to do.

The health assessment was at the BUPA visa office near Southern Cross station in Docklands. So we drove down to the flat, where we left the car, then we took a tram into town. The building that BUPA is in is behind the station in a complex with walkways, shops, entrances to the station platforms and lots of other things.  The information that came when we made the appointment said to allow 2 hours. When we got there they said about an hour and a half. So Jim went in and I wandered off for a spot of lunch and a potter in the shops, some of which were outlet shops.

I didn't really need anything (except a new doona cover but I'll get a very cheap one from Kmart or Target - it's to go on our bed at Hill House and I'm not spending real money on something that will be covered with Great Danes!) and I didn't buy anything. But it filled in nearly an hour, wandering around.  I was just pondering what to do next when my phone rang.  It was Jim.  He was done. It took just under an hour and he says most of that was waiting for the next thing to happen. Not sure if that means that he blitzed it, or he was such a complete failure that they couldn't be bothered :-D

So we went back to Hill House, via the flat of course.  That is where the car was.

So the bed count so far this week for me is: Sunday night at Tani; Monday night at Hill House; Tuesday night at the flat; Wednesday night at Mount Martha.  Then I am expecting it to get very dull.  I think Jim and I will be sleeping at Tani until Monday. Assuming, of course, that things go According To Plan

No comments:

Post a Comment