Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, February 10, 2019

It's been a funny week

Until last night I hadn't slept in the same bed two nights in a row.

Sunday night we were at our place. Monday I slept at Hill House. Tuesday I was in the flat. Wednesday, at Hill House. Thursday I was at Stella's place in Mount Martha. Friday I was back at Hill House. And also last night, when I finally was able to pull my pyjamas out from under my pillow rather than out of my overnight case.  Back to our place tonight then the new week begins with a new rotation of beds :-D

Stella is still in Peninsula Private hospital. They decided that there was no point her going into Rehab because she wouldn't be able to cope with the physio and the other exercises.  So they thought maybe a week in respite care where people would cook for her and make her cups of tea. Then they decided that wouldn't do because there wouldn't be any physio or exercise. So they decided upon something called Slow Stream Rehab. However, it can be quite a while before beds become available in the slow stream rehab, so in hospital she remains.  Getting very bored, it must be said.

We managed to get a visitor to her on most days last week, but not all. I went down after work on Thursday and stayed at her place overnight so I could get there on Friday as well. This week might be a bit more difficult, but we will do our best. Stella and I had lunch in the hospital cafe on Friday. I have to say that her Asian style beef salad with rice looked hugely more appetising than the frittata they served up to her in her room.  She ate most of the beef salad. I really don't understand why hospital food has to be so horrible, and especially not in a private hospital. We've been taking in sushi and fruit and other tempting morsels, otherwise I'm not sure there would be very much she would want to eat.

The week was complicated by the practice's triennial accreditation Tuesday, for which we had been preparing for some time.  The practice blitzed it, as you would hope, but it was nevertheless quite disruptive, particularly on Tuesday itself.  Never mind.  Three years before we have to do it again!

We had intended to go, with Lindsey, to the market by the lake yesterday morning (Wendy was visiting Stella). Alas, for most of the morning it poured with rain and was very windy. I went down to our place and came back with proper jumpers for Jim and me and some proper shoes for me (too chilly for sandals).  So we went out to the farm shop for veg and to the farm shop in Elaine for other provisions, and then drove on to Meredith to see if we could get a pub lunch.  There's a sign on the highway that says there are two pubs in the township.  We have only ever seen one. So we went hunting for the other one. It it was something of a find. They cook to order, the food was very good and the service was friendly.  We will go there again.

I would say that we will also try the other pub and the cafe and look in Dorothy's Kitchen at some stage.  We will quite possibly investigate Dorothy's Kitchen which seems also to sell things to take home, but previous experience tells me that when we find a place we like, we tend to stick with it even when there are other offerings on hand. The only time we have gone anywhere other than the Pig and Goose in Bunninyong is when it has been closed and we were forced to go elsewhere. Likewise in Clunes, we go to Bread and Circus. There could be all sorts of delicious things in other places in Clunes - but why take the risk :-D

Lindsey is visiting Stella today. We are expecting her to be back in Mount Helen sometime this evening, and Ian to return at some point today. We have a quiet day in prospect and expect to end the day at our place.  At least - that's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment