Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, February 23, 2019

More Wildlife

I went outside on Thursday morning to the car park area of Hill House to hang out some washing and to put the bedding out to air in the late summer sunshine. While I was out I heard a strange squeaking noise overhead. I looked up to see what could be making a squeaking noise and there were two wedge tailed eagles over me, floating round on the thermals and squeaking.  I have never heard eagles squeaking before. They seemed to be enjoying their morning.

I went outside on Thursday afternoon, to the car park area to bring the washing in.  The washing hoist is on the far side of the car park area.

I was taking down the bedding when I heard a strange rustling noise behind me. I looked back to see what it might be - and there was a large snake (I think probably a brown snake) slithering out of the woodpile on the other side of the car park and heading down towards the driveway. I don't think it realised I was there because as I stood watching it turned round and looked at me. It briefly considered whether I was a threat and obviously decided I wasn't and continued on its journey down the driveway.

Brown snakes can, sometimes, be quite grumpy. Usually  snakes don't bother humans unless they feel threatened or the humans annoy them.  Brown snakes, however, can sometimes simply decide that they don't like you and attack.  You really don't want them living as close to your house as this one seems to be. Lindsey thinks we should move the woodpile. In my view, shifting a woodpile that a snake has decided is its home comes into the category of humans annoying snakes and therefore is Asking for Trouble. We will have to be vigilant while out in the car park area, make lots of noise and stamp our well booted feet - and sort out the woodpile when there are no snakes around.

I was in the kitchen on Thursday evening in the company of a VERY grumpy wasp.  Mind you, I had very definitely annoyed it when I sprayed it with fly spray. Fortunately it flew away from me and not towards me.  I don't wish to be bitten by a snake.  I don't wish to be stung by a wasp.  I'm more than happy to admire local eagles enjoying the summer sunshine, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment