Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Glasses

Jim and I were at Lindsey and Ian's place on Monday evening, as is our habit. We were sat in the lounge room watching television.

At one point in the evening I took my glasses off to look at something close up. My glasses are varifocals but I have always found I can see better, if reading or using a computer, if I am not wearing my glasses.  In fact, my distance vision has improved a bit over the years. As long as I don't want to read something far in the distance my vision is good enough even without my glasses.  Inside I often don't notice whether I am wearing them or not.

However, it is a condition on my driving licence that I wear them when driving.  I went to put them on on Tuesday morning, ready for driving to work.  Couldn't find them. Searched everywhere. Eventually I retraced my steps to where I last actually remembered having them.  Here, on the couch, watching tv.  Picked up all the blankets that the dogs sleep on.  Saw the stem poking up from between the cushions.  And there were my glasses. In several pieces.  Broken beyond repair ;-(

Fortunately, I have a pair of prescription sunglasses.  Fortunately is was a nice bright sunny morning and I would probably have been wearing them anyway.  But there will be no nighttime driving for me.  Or not until I get a new pair of ordinary glasses.

My brother has a friend who is an optometrist.  I have made an appointment to see her. But not until next week.



We had a good time on Sunday with Stella and Tony. It was a lovely morning for a drive and we had a good run down. We had a pleasant lunch in the Dava. Jim had offered to drive home (though I think he was surprised when I said OK :-D ) so Tony and I indulged in a second glass of wine. I enjoyed my fish and chips.  Jim enjoyed his Senior's portion of roast pork with complementary dessert.  I enjoyed Tony's complementary dessert from his Senior's fish and chips.  Stella had twice cooked duck, not a Senior's portion. I think she cleared every skerrick of duck and most of the tiny vegetables.  Then Jim and I left them to it and made our way home.  A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment