Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Addiction?

Lindsey, Jim and I went to the Bridge Mall on Saturday morning.

I like the Bridge Mall market.

I get big bags of mushrooms for $4 each. They are a mix of sizes and some of them are broken. This doesn't trouble me. They are even more broken by the time I've cooked them and eaten them. This week there were several enormous ones. I haven't broken them up, or frozen them.

I get trays of 30 "seconds" eggs for $8. They are all sorts of sizes. Some have double folks.  Some have soft shells.  Some are a bit grubby.  They all taste fine, though.

I get vegetables and sausages and sometimes pork. There is a stall selling bread, one selling cakes. It has a good buzz.

And, of course, I get the dukkah spice mixes there.

It was a pleasant late winter morning on Saturday and we enjoyed our visit.

Then we went home and I had a Japanese lesson at lunch time, followed by a fairly quiet afternoon.

Sunday was a lovely day so Lindsey, Jim and I drove out to Maryborough, about an hour away, to look at the monthly market there.  You may remember that Jim and I went out in search of the Farmers' Market a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't there.  It is a beautiful drive to Maryborough and none of us would say the morning had been wasted. But the market wasn't very big and was largely a trash and treasure market.  In our view it suffers from being very close to Talbot, which has an ENORMOUS market which combines trash and treasure, farmers' and general market.  Also, from our perspective, it doesn't compare well with Daylesford which is much closer to us and which is on every Sunday.  I don't think we'll go again.

Ian had been going to come with us but decided at the last minute to stay at home and mend some fencing instead.  Probably just as well. I think he would have thought it was a very long way to go for not very much. It did mean that he missed out on lunch at Bread and Circus in Clunes but he can always go there another time.

He and Lindsey came down to us in the evening and had a Middle Eastern style roast lamb with beetroot salad, lots of herbs, pomegranate and home made flat breads. The recipe was one from this season of Masterchef Australia, cooked by one of the judges, Matt Preston.  It was very delicious. I think it would be quite nice cold, too. I have added it to my repertoire.

When Lindsey told Mother than we were going to Maryborough to check out the market there, Mother said that we were becoming addicted to Markets. Lindsey said it was all my fault.  They said this as though it was a bad thing!!!  I can think of lots of worse things we could be doing other than driving around pretty bits of the state and looking at markets. We could, for instance, spend weekends  just sitting at home, eating nice food and drinking wine.  ðŸ˜›

No comments:

Post a Comment